Jul 1, 2012, 1:48 PM EDT
After making waves with contract offers to Zach Parise and Ryan Suter, the Minnesota Wild inked a pair of less ballyhooed free agents — former Senators center Zenon Konopka and ex-Sharks winger Torrey Mitchell.
Mitchell, 27, has spent his entire five-year career with the Sharks. After a solid 2010-11 campaign (9G-14A-23PTS, plus-10), the University of Vermont product regressed last season, scoring just 19 points with a minus-six rating while his average ice time dipped below 13 per game.
According to TSN’s Darren Dreger, Mitchell’s deal is for three years, $5.7 million with an average annual cap hit of $1.9 million.
Konopka, 31, is a unique player — a quality fighter that racks up penalty minutes (he led the NHL in 2009-10 and 2010-11.) He’s also a skilled faceoff man that routinely finishes amongst the league’s best in winning percentage.
Konopka proved to be a vital contributor for the Senators in their opening-round playoff loss to the Rangers, scoring two points in six games while getting over 11 minutes per game — a huge bump from the 7:51 he averaged during the regular season.
Still no word on the financial side of Konopka’s deal, but Dreger reports it’s of the two-year variety.
- Video: Drouin scores first NHL goal, shows early chemistry with Stamkos 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 15
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 18
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)