Jul 1, 2012, 1:48 PM EDT
After making waves with contract offers to Zach Parise and Ryan Suter, the Minnesota Wild inked a pair of less ballyhooed free agents — former Senators center Zenon Konopka and ex-Sharks winger Torrey Mitchell.
Mitchell, 27, has spent his entire five-year career with the Sharks. After a solid 2010-11 campaign (9G-14A-23PTS, plus-10), the University of Vermont product regressed last season, scoring just 19 points with a minus-six rating while his average ice time dipped below 13 per game.
According to TSN’s Darren Dreger, Mitchell’s deal is for three years, $5.7 million with an average annual cap hit of $1.9 million.
Konopka, 31, is a unique player — a quality fighter that racks up penalty minutes (he led the NHL in 2009-10 and 2010-11.) He’s also a skilled faceoff man that routinely finishes amongst the league’s best in winning percentage.
Konopka proved to be a vital contributor for the Senators in their opening-round playoff loss to the Rangers, scoring two points in six games while getting over 11 minutes per game — a huge bump from the 7:51 he averaged during the regular season.
Still no word on the financial side of Konopka’s deal, but Dreger reports it’s of the two-year variety.
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 1
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 47
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 6
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 39
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 98
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)