Jul 1, 2012, 12:20 PM EST
Just when you thought Philadelphia’s goaltending situation couldn’t get any more bizarre, it just got more bizarre.
According to various reports, the Flyers have re-signed Michael Leighton — their starting goalie from the 2010 Stanley Cup finals — to a one-year deal worth $900,000.
Since the ’10 finals Leighton has played exactly one game at the NHL level, spending almost all of his time with Philly’s AHL affiliate in Adirondack. He went 28-26-1 with the Phantoms last year, posting a .918 save percentage and 2.58 GAA.
As for trying to explain the signing…
After trading Sergei Bobrovsky to Columbus prior to the draft, he Flyers were in the market for a backup to Ilya Bryzgalov, preferably an older netminder with some experience. The market looked to have a few available, but with veteran presences like Martin Biron and Scott Clemmensen being retained by their respective clubs, the Flyers might’ve looked at dwindling options and decided it was best to keep things in house.
While we’re still seeking confirmation on whether it’s a one- or two-way deal, CSN Philadelphia’s Tim Panaccio suggests Leighton “likely ends up” as Bryzgalov’s backup for 2012-13.
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 21
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 36
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 58
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 33
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 56
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 165
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (165)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (61)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (58)