Jul 1, 2012, 12:20 PM EST
Just when you thought Philadelphia’s goaltending situation couldn’t get any more bizarre, it just got more bizarre.
According to various reports, the Flyers have re-signed Michael Leighton — their starting goalie from the 2010 Stanley Cup finals — to a one-year deal worth $900,000.
Since the ’10 finals Leighton has played exactly one game at the NHL level, spending almost all of his time with Philly’s AHL affiliate in Adirondack. He went 28-26-1 with the Phantoms last year, posting a .918 save percentage and 2.58 GAA.
As for trying to explain the signing…
After trading Sergei Bobrovsky to Columbus prior to the draft, he Flyers were in the market for a backup to Ilya Bryzgalov, preferably an older netminder with some experience. The market looked to have a few available, but with veteran presences like Martin Biron and Scott Clemmensen being retained by their respective clubs, the Flyers might’ve looked at dwindling options and decided it was best to keep things in house.
While we’re still seeking confirmation on whether it’s a one- or two-way deal, CSN Philadelphia’s Tim Panaccio suggests Leighton “likely ends up” as Bryzgalov’s backup for 2012-13.
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 13
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 11
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 60
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 28
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 127
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (60)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)