Jul 1, 2012, 12:20 PM EST
Just when you thought Philadelphia’s goaltending situation couldn’t get any more bizarre, it just got more bizarre.
According to various reports, the Flyers have re-signed Michael Leighton — their starting goalie from the 2010 Stanley Cup finals — to a one-year deal worth $900,000.
Since the ’10 finals Leighton has played exactly one game at the NHL level, spending almost all of his time with Philly’s AHL affiliate in Adirondack. He went 28-26-1 with the Phantoms last year, posting a .918 save percentage and 2.58 GAA.
As for trying to explain the signing…
After trading Sergei Bobrovsky to Columbus prior to the draft, he Flyers were in the market for a backup to Ilya Bryzgalov, preferably an older netminder with some experience. The market looked to have a few available, but with veteran presences like Martin Biron and Scott Clemmensen being retained by their respective clubs, the Flyers might’ve looked at dwindling options and decided it was best to keep things in house.
While we’re still seeking confirmation on whether it’s a one- or two-way deal, CSN Philadelphia’s Tim Panaccio suggests Leighton “likely ends up” as Bryzgalov’s backup for 2012-13.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 19
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (63)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)