Jul 1, 2012, 11:12 PM EST
Rynnas should be regarded as primarily a minor-league goaltender and, at best, the Leafs’ primary option if one of their top two netminders get injured. Similarly, it would be a surprise if Ryan Hamilton makes the Leafs’ opening game roster — although, to his credit, he did have a strong season with the AHL Marlies.
Frattin is another story. He had eight goals and 15 points in 56 NHL games and is a more promising player than those numbers might imply. He should compete for a roster spot at training camp.
— Bruce Garrioch reported that the Leafs also signed defenseman Mike Kostka. He had an impressive six goals and 12 points in the AHL Norfolk Admirals’ playoff run.
He has a 6-foot-8, 270-pound frame and…that tells you just about everything you need to know about Scott. He’s a big, tough player that will fit in nicely on Buffalo’s fourth line — although he’ll probably also be listed as a healthy scratch for a fair amount of the season.
— Lou Korac reported that the St. Louis Blues signed Mike McKenna, Scott Ford, and Taylor Chorney to one-year, two-way contracts. Of those, Chorney is probably the most likely to get playing time in the NHL next season, although McKenna might settle into the role of third-string goaltender.
— Renaud P Lavoie reported the signing of Bracken Kearns to the San Jose Sharks. It’s a two-way deal that will pay Kearns $550,000 at the NHL level. Kearns will provide a veteran presence to the AHL Worcester Sharks.
— The Anaheim Ducks announced that they have inked Jordan Hendry to a one-year contract. He’s perhaps best known for playing in 15 postseason contests during the 2010 Chicago Blackhawks’ Stanley Cup run. It remains to be seen if he can win a roster spot with the Anaheim Ducks out of training camp.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 0
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 5
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 0
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 9
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 6
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 15
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)