Jul 1, 2012, 11:12 PM EDT
Rynnas should be regarded as primarily a minor-league goaltender and, at best, the Leafs’ primary option if one of their top two netminders get injured. Similarly, it would be a surprise if Ryan Hamilton makes the Leafs’ opening game roster — although, to his credit, he did have a strong season with the AHL Marlies.
Frattin is another story. He had eight goals and 15 points in 56 NHL games and is a more promising player than those numbers might imply. He should compete for a roster spot at training camp.
— Bruce Garrioch reported that the Leafs also signed defenseman Mike Kostka. He had an impressive six goals and 12 points in the AHL Norfolk Admirals’ playoff run.
He has a 6-foot-8, 270-pound frame and…that tells you just about everything you need to know about Scott. He’s a big, tough player that will fit in nicely on Buffalo’s fourth line — although he’ll probably also be listed as a healthy scratch for a fair amount of the season.
— Lou Korac reported that the St. Louis Blues signed Mike McKenna, Scott Ford, and Taylor Chorney to one-year, two-way contracts. Of those, Chorney is probably the most likely to get playing time in the NHL next season, although McKenna might settle into the role of third-string goaltender.
— Renaud P Lavoie reported the signing of Bracken Kearns to the San Jose Sharks. It’s a two-way deal that will pay Kearns $550,000 at the NHL level. Kearns will provide a veteran presence to the AHL Worcester Sharks.
— The Anaheim Ducks announced that they have inked Jordan Hendry to a one-year contract. He’s perhaps best known for playing in 15 postseason contests during the 2010 Chicago Blackhawks’ Stanley Cup run. It remains to be seen if he can win a roster spot with the Anaheim Ducks out of training camp.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (36)