Jul 1, 2012, 11:12 PM EDT
Rynnas should be regarded as primarily a minor-league goaltender and, at best, the Leafs’ primary option if one of their top two netminders get injured. Similarly, it would be a surprise if Ryan Hamilton makes the Leafs’ opening game roster — although, to his credit, he did have a strong season with the AHL Marlies.
Frattin is another story. He had eight goals and 15 points in 56 NHL games and is a more promising player than those numbers might imply. He should compete for a roster spot at training camp.
– Bruce Garrioch reported that the Leafs also signed defenseman Mike Kostka. He had an impressive six goals and 12 points in the AHL Norfolk Admirals’ playoff run.
He has a 6-foot-8, 270-pound frame and…that tells you just about everything you need to know about Scott. He’s a big, tough player that will fit in nicely on Buffalo’s fourth line — although he’ll probably also be listed as a healthy scratch for a fair amount of the season.
– Lou Korac reported that the St. Louis Blues signed Mike McKenna, Scott Ford, and Taylor Chorney to one-year, two-way contracts. Of those, Chorney is probably the most likely to get playing time in the NHL next season, although McKenna might settle into the role of third-string goaltender.
– Renaud P Lavoie reported the signing of Bracken Kearns to the San Jose Sharks. It’s a two-way deal that will pay Kearns $550,000 at the NHL level. Kearns will provide a veteran presence to the AHL Worcester Sharks.
– The Anaheim Ducks announced that they have inked Jordan Hendry to a one-year contract. He’s perhaps best known for playing in 15 postseason contests during the 2010 Chicago Blackhawks’ Stanley Cup run. It remains to be seen if he can win a roster spot with the Anaheim Ducks out of training camp.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)