Jul 1, 2012, 2:59 PM EDT
For the second consecutive summer, Florida GM Dale Tallon has raised eyebrows in free agency.
The deal represents a slight pay raise for the 35-year-old Kuba who, on his last deal, had an average annual salary of $3.7 million. It also reunites the Czech rearguard with the team that drafted him in the eighth round of the 1995 NHL Entry Draft (Kuba made his NHL debut with the panthers in 1998-99.)
That said, this deal is loaded with questions.
There’s no denying Kuba’s an established NHL defenseman, but one has to wonder what Kuba the Panthers are getting.
Is it the guy that stumbled to a 16-point, minus-26 season in 2010-11?
Or is it the guy that rebounded with a 32-point, plus-26 campaign last season — in what (coincidentally) happened to be a contract year? (While playing with Erik Karlsson, don’t forget.)
Whatever the case, one thing’s for certain — the Panthers blueline didn’t get any younger with this acquisition. Kuba will be 36 in December, which is slightly younger than Ed Jovanovski, who turned the big 3-6 in June.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 11
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 10
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 25
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 55
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 2
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)