Jul 1, 2012, 2:59 PM EDT
For the second consecutive summer, Florida GM Dale Tallon has raised eyebrows in free agency.
The deal represents a slight pay raise for the 35-year-old Kuba who, on his last deal, had an average annual salary of $3.7 million. It also reunites the Czech rearguard with the team that drafted him in the eighth round of the 1995 NHL Entry Draft (Kuba made his NHL debut with the panthers in 1998-99.)
That said, this deal is loaded with questions.
There’s no denying Kuba’s an established NHL defenseman, but one has to wonder what Kuba the Panthers are getting.
Is it the guy that stumbled to a 16-point, minus-26 season in 2010-11?
Or is it the guy that rebounded with a 32-point, plus-26 campaign last season — in what (coincidentally) happened to be a contract year? (While playing with Erik Karlsson, don’t forget.)
Whatever the case, one thing’s for certain — the Panthers blueline didn’t get any younger with this acquisition. Kuba will be 36 in December, which is slightly younger than Ed Jovanovski, who turned the big 3-6 in June.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 6
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)