Jul 1, 2012, 11:38 AM EDT
Captain Canada has agreed to stay put — on Canada Day.
That’s the word out of Edmonton today as the Oilers announced they’ve re-signed Ryan Smyth to a two-year, $4.5 million contract. The deal comes roughly an hour before Smyth was set to hit unrestricted free agency, a scenario neither the club nor 36-year-old forward wanted to unfold.
It was last July when Smyth forced a trade to Edmonton — from sunny Los Angeles, no less — and famously stated “I bleed Oiler blue.” That suggested Smyth was primed to finish his career in his beloved Oil Country, but that (potentially) happy ending hit a snag when the two sides were unable to come to terms during May/June negotiations.
Funny what deadlines can do.
As for the contract, the price and term seem to suggest the Oilers brought Smyth back for his veteran leadership abilities rather than offensive output.
He registered just 46 points in 2011-12 — his lowest total in four years — and projects to be in a third-line role behind young guns Nail Yakupov, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Jordan Eberle, Taylor Hall, Sam Gagner and Ales Hemsky.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 4
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 30
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)