Jul 1, 2012, 8:01 PM EST
Predators GM David Poile wants Ryan Suter, but if he’s not coming back, he needs to know so that he can make other arrangements.
“I haven’t done that to this point, but I think that’s probably the proper thing to do,” Poile said. “It’s a tough situation we’re in. Ryan controls all the cards right now, and if he comes back and signs with us, that’s terrific and we live happily ever after, but we need to move this forward because there’s a couple of other directions we may want to go if we knew that he wasn’t coming back.”
Personally, I think if Suter wanted to stay with Nashville, he would have re-signed with them by now. It wouldn’t be Earth-shattering news if he did agree to terms with the Predators, but at this point it seems far more likely that he will go elsewhere.
Weber is a bit of a more complicated situation. The Nashville Predators are in danger of losing Suter for nothing. If Weber refuses to sign a long-term contract with the Predators, they could end up watching Weber walk too. With that in mind, it might be better to trade Weber over the summer if Suter walks and Weber refuses to ink anything other than a one-year deal.
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 32
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 1
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 16
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 27
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 23
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)