Jul 1, 2012, 8:01 PM EST
Predators GM David Poile wants Ryan Suter, but if he’s not coming back, he needs to know so that he can make other arrangements.
“I haven’t done that to this point, but I think that’s probably the proper thing to do,” Poile said. “It’s a tough situation we’re in. Ryan controls all the cards right now, and if he comes back and signs with us, that’s terrific and we live happily ever after, but we need to move this forward because there’s a couple of other directions we may want to go if we knew that he wasn’t coming back.”
Personally, I think if Suter wanted to stay with Nashville, he would have re-signed with them by now. It wouldn’t be Earth-shattering news if he did agree to terms with the Predators, but at this point it seems far more likely that he will go elsewhere.
Weber is a bit of a more complicated situation. The Nashville Predators are in danger of losing Suter for nothing. If Weber refuses to sign a long-term contract with the Predators, they could end up watching Weber walk too. With that in mind, it might be better to trade Weber over the summer if Suter walks and Weber refuses to ink anything other than a one-year deal.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 92
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 92
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 103
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (123)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (104)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (100)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (94)