Jul 1, 2012, 8:01 PM EDT
Predators GM David Poile wants Ryan Suter, but if he’s not coming back, he needs to know so that he can make other arrangements.
“I haven’t done that to this point, but I think that’s probably the proper thing to do,” Poile said. “It’s a tough situation we’re in. Ryan controls all the cards right now, and if he comes back and signs with us, that’s terrific and we live happily ever after, but we need to move this forward because there’s a couple of other directions we may want to go if we knew that he wasn’t coming back.”
Personally, I think if Suter wanted to stay with Nashville, he would have re-signed with them by now. It wouldn’t be Earth-shattering news if he did agree to terms with the Predators, but at this point it seems far more likely that he will go elsewhere.
Weber is a bit of a more complicated situation. The Nashville Predators are in danger of losing Suter for nothing. If Weber refuses to sign a long-term contract with the Predators, they could end up watching Weber walk too. With that in mind, it might be better to trade Weber over the summer if Suter walks and Weber refuses to ink anything other than a one-year deal.
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 2
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 66
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)