Jul 1, 2012, 8:01 PM EDT
Predators GM David Poile wants Ryan Suter, but if he’s not coming back, he needs to know so that he can make other arrangements.
“I haven’t done that to this point, but I think that’s probably the proper thing to do,” Poile said. “It’s a tough situation we’re in. Ryan controls all the cards right now, and if he comes back and signs with us, that’s terrific and we live happily ever after, but we need to move this forward because there’s a couple of other directions we may want to go if we knew that he wasn’t coming back.”
Personally, I think if Suter wanted to stay with Nashville, he would have re-signed with them by now. It wouldn’t be Earth-shattering news if he did agree to terms with the Predators, but at this point it seems far more likely that he will go elsewhere.
Weber is a bit of a more complicated situation. The Nashville Predators are in danger of losing Suter for nothing. If Weber refuses to sign a long-term contract with the Predators, they could end up watching Weber walk too. With that in mind, it might be better to trade Weber over the summer if Suter walks and Weber refuses to ink anything other than a one-year deal.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 13
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)