Jul 1, 2012, 7:43 PM EST
Jaromir Jagr became an unrestricted free agent on Sunday and it looks like he’s in no rush to ink a new contract. That’s understandable, considering how many teams he has to pick from.
“He got 21 offers; I’m not kidding,” said agent Petr Svoboda, according to CSNPhilly’s Tim Panaccio. Svoboda added that Jagr might still end up re-signing with the Philadelphia Flyers.
After spending three seasons in the KHL, Jagr made an impressive comeback last season. He scored 19 goals and 54 points in 73 contests with the Flyers.
At the same time, he dealt with leg and groin issues in 2011-12 and he turned 40 in February. So he’s a risk going forward and probably shouldn’t be regarded as much more than a good second liner.
Still, clearly there are plenty of teams eager to get him and that’s not surprising given his experience and how thin this UFA market is. Plus the prospect of having Jagr potentially finish his career in their city has to appeal to some owners and GMs.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)