Jul 1, 2012, 7:43 PM EDT
Jaromir Jagr became an unrestricted free agent on Sunday and it looks like he’s in no rush to ink a new contract. That’s understandable, considering how many teams he has to pick from.
“He got 21 offers; I’m not kidding,” said agent Petr Svoboda, according to CSNPhilly’s Tim Panaccio. Svoboda added that Jagr might still end up re-signing with the Philadelphia Flyers.
After spending three seasons in the KHL, Jagr made an impressive comeback last season. He scored 19 goals and 54 points in 73 contests with the Flyers.
At the same time, he dealt with leg and groin issues in 2011-12 and he turned 40 in February. So he’s a risk going forward and probably shouldn’t be regarded as much more than a good second liner.
Still, clearly there are plenty of teams eager to get him and that’s not surprising given his experience and how thin this UFA market is. Plus the prospect of having Jagr potentially finish his career in their city has to appeal to some owners and GMs.
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 22
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 12
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 40
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 46
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 26
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal