Jul 1, 2012, 7:43 PM EST
Jaromir Jagr became an unrestricted free agent on Sunday and it looks like he’s in no rush to ink a new contract. That’s understandable, considering how many teams he has to pick from.
“He got 21 offers; I’m not kidding,” said agent Petr Svoboda, according to CSNPhilly’s Tim Panaccio. Svoboda added that Jagr might still end up re-signing with the Philadelphia Flyers.
After spending three seasons in the KHL, Jagr made an impressive comeback last season. He scored 19 goals and 54 points in 73 contests with the Flyers.
At the same time, he dealt with leg and groin issues in 2011-12 and he turned 40 in February. So he’s a risk going forward and probably shouldn’t be regarded as much more than a good second liner.
Still, clearly there are plenty of teams eager to get him and that’s not surprising given his experience and how thin this UFA market is. Plus the prospect of having Jagr potentially finish his career in their city has to appeal to some owners and GMs.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (56)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)