Jul 1, 2012, 11:32 AM EST
It didn’t take long for the Carolina Hurricanes and Jordan Staal to work out a long-term deal. TSN’s Bob McKenzie breaks the news of Staal signing a 10-year, $60 million deal with the team, good for a cap hit of $6 million per year.
If that offer sounds vaguely familiar for Staal it’s because it’s similar (or exactly the same) to the one Penguins GM Ray Shero made to Staal two weeks ago. A day after news broke that Shero was “livid” with Staal for turning it down, the Penguins sent him to the Hurricanes in a package that gave Pittsburgh the 8th overall selection in the draft (Derrick Pouliot) along with Brandon Sutter and Brian Dumoulin.
“We are very pleased that Jordan has chosen to commit to the Hurricanes organization and to make North Carolina his home,” said Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford. “At 23 years old he is just starting to come into his prime, and he now represents a cornerstone of our franchise for the long term.”
Now Jordan will play alongside his brother Eric Staal in Carolina and be the second-highest paid member of the family in Raleigh and set up to be the team’s No. 2 center.
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 44
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 57
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 61
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 34
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 62
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 167
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (167)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (62)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (61)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)