Jul 1, 2012, 7:57 PM EDT
Even when things have gone well, the Anaheim Ducks have been known for a team that leaves a lot to be desired on defense. Keeping Bryan Allen might help while dishing Lubomir Visnovsky almost certainly won’t. The Ducks decided to go further with a risky-but-interesting addition; Eric Stephens reports that they signed Sheldon Souray to a three-year, $11 million deal.
Between Souray and Allen, the Ducks have invested a whopping $21.5 million during the next three seasons. The riskiest part of the deal is that it will be a 35+ contract, though (Souray turns 36 in a couple weeks).
Perhaps GM Bob Murray wishes he simply targeted Souray one season sooner. The Dallas Stars got an absolute bargain on Souray on the heels of his in-the-doghouse year with the Edmonton Oilers; they paid him a mere $1.65 million last season only to get a solid six goals and 21 points from him. He was especially dangerous at first and then teams either adapted to his still-lethal slapper or the Stars went to that well one-too-many times.
Even on a day of risks, this seems like a big gamble for the Ducks. His 35+ contract means that they’ll need to live with the injury risks and natural decline of age.
Really, though, I’ll personally miss hearing Darryl “Razor” Reaugh call him “Studly Wonderbomb.” Then again, as division rivals with the Stars, he’ll get a chance to do it six times per season, so it’s not a total loss.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (160)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)