Jul 1, 2012, 7:57 PM EDT
Even when things have gone well, the Anaheim Ducks have been known for a team that leaves a lot to be desired on defense. Keeping Bryan Allen might help while dishing Lubomir Visnovsky almost certainly won’t. The Ducks decided to go further with a risky-but-interesting addition; Eric Stephens reports that they signed Sheldon Souray to a three-year, $11 million deal.
Between Souray and Allen, the Ducks have invested a whopping $21.5 million during the next three seasons. The riskiest part of the deal is that it will be a 35+ contract, though (Souray turns 36 in a couple weeks).
Perhaps GM Bob Murray wishes he simply targeted Souray one season sooner. The Dallas Stars got an absolute bargain on Souray on the heels of his in-the-doghouse year with the Edmonton Oilers; they paid him a mere $1.65 million last season only to get a solid six goals and 21 points from him. He was especially dangerous at first and then teams either adapted to his still-lethal slapper or the Stars went to that well one-too-many times.
Even on a day of risks, this seems like a big gamble for the Ducks. His 35+ contract means that they’ll need to live with the injury risks and natural decline of age.
Really, though, I’ll personally miss hearing Darryl “Razor” Reaugh call him “Studly Wonderbomb.” Then again, as division rivals with the Stars, he’ll get a chance to do it six times per season, so it’s not a total loss.
- Video: Johnny Hockey puts on a show in Flames win 8
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 1
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)