Jul 1, 2012, 7:57 PM EDT
Even when things have gone well, the Anaheim Ducks have been known for a team that leaves a lot to be desired on defense. Keeping Bryan Allen might help while dishing Lubomir Visnovsky almost certainly won’t. The Ducks decided to go further with a risky-but-interesting addition; Eric Stephens reports that they signed Sheldon Souray to a three-year, $11 million deal.
Between Souray and Allen, the Ducks have invested a whopping $21.5 million during the next three seasons. The riskiest part of the deal is that it will be a 35+ contract, though (Souray turns 36 in a couple weeks).
Perhaps GM Bob Murray wishes he simply targeted Souray one season sooner. The Dallas Stars got an absolute bargain on Souray on the heels of his in-the-doghouse year with the Edmonton Oilers; they paid him a mere $1.65 million last season only to get a solid six goals and 21 points from him. He was especially dangerous at first and then teams either adapted to his still-lethal slapper or the Stars went to that well one-too-many times.
Even on a day of risks, this seems like a big gamble for the Ducks. His 35+ contract means that they’ll need to live with the injury risks and natural decline of age.
Really, though, I’ll personally miss hearing Darryl “Razor” Reaugh call him “Studly Wonderbomb.” Then again, as division rivals with the Stars, he’ll get a chance to do it six times per season, so it’s not a total loss.
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 0
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 18
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 28
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 26
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 13
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 50
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (51)