Jul 1, 2012, 7:57 PM EST
Even when things have gone well, the Anaheim Ducks have been known for a team that leaves a lot to be desired on defense. Keeping Bryan Allen might help while dishing Lubomir Visnovsky almost certainly won’t. The Ducks decided to go further with a risky-but-interesting addition; Eric Stephens reports that they signed Sheldon Souray to a three-year, $11 million deal.
Between Souray and Allen, the Ducks have invested a whopping $21.5 million during the next three seasons. The riskiest part of the deal is that it will be a 35+ contract, though (Souray turns 36 in a couple weeks).
Perhaps GM Bob Murray wishes he simply targeted Souray one season sooner. The Dallas Stars got an absolute bargain on Souray on the heels of his in-the-doghouse year with the Edmonton Oilers; they paid him a mere $1.65 million last season only to get a solid six goals and 21 points from him. He was especially dangerous at first and then teams either adapted to his still-lethal slapper or the Stars went to that well one-too-many times.
Even on a day of risks, this seems like a big gamble for the Ducks. His 35+ contract means that they’ll need to live with the injury risks and natural decline of age.
Really, though, I’ll personally miss hearing Darryl “Razor” Reaugh call him “Studly Wonderbomb.” Then again, as division rivals with the Stars, he’ll get a chance to do it six times per season, so it’s not a total loss.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 13
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 76
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 4
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)