Jul 1, 2012, 7:57 PM EST
Even when things have gone well, the Anaheim Ducks have been known for a team that leaves a lot to be desired on defense. Keeping Bryan Allen might help while dishing Lubomir Visnovsky almost certainly won’t. The Ducks decided to go further with a risky-but-interesting addition; Eric Stephens reports that they signed Sheldon Souray to a three-year, $11 million deal.
Between Souray and Allen, the Ducks have invested a whopping $21.5 million during the next three seasons. The riskiest part of the deal is that it will be a 35+ contract, though (Souray turns 36 in a couple weeks).
Perhaps GM Bob Murray wishes he simply targeted Souray one season sooner. The Dallas Stars got an absolute bargain on Souray on the heels of his in-the-doghouse year with the Edmonton Oilers; they paid him a mere $1.65 million last season only to get a solid six goals and 21 points from him. He was especially dangerous at first and then teams either adapted to his still-lethal slapper or the Stars went to that well one-too-many times.
Even on a day of risks, this seems like a big gamble for the Ducks. His 35+ contract means that they’ll need to live with the injury risks and natural decline of age.
Really, though, I’ll personally miss hearing Darryl “Razor” Reaugh call him “Studly Wonderbomb.” Then again, as division rivals with the Stars, he’ll get a chance to do it six times per season, so it’s not a total loss.
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 0
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 0
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 42
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 19
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 23
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 32
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 63
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 31