Jul 1, 2012, 12:01 PM EDT
“Scott is a high-character, hard-working player who is a true professional in every sense,” said general manager Dale Tallon. “He stepped in and played very well in some tough games for us last season, including recording wins against Los Angeles, Vancouver, San Jose, Washington and Philadelphia. We are very pleased to have him back with our club and look forward to his continued contributions to our organization both on and off the ice.”
A few things about this deal:
First, Clemmensen was one of the top pending UFA goalies, which says more about the thinness of the market than the player. He (.915 save percentage) only started 25 games last season, and he’s never started more than 39.
Second, it leaves the Panthers with two goalies under contract. Jose Theodore has one year left on his deal, and according to CapGeek.com, he also has a no-trade clause. So does that take Florida out of the Robert Luongo sweepstakes? Unless Theodore is part of a trade with the Canucks, it would seem to.
Finally, if Luongo (and his $5.3 million cap hit) isn’t coming to the Panthers, it frees up money to spend on other players. Like, perhaps, defenseman Jason Garrison.
Update: ESPN’s Craig Custance reports the Clemmensen deal doesn’t rule out a Luongo trade to Florida.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 6
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 27
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Stayin’ Alive: Canucks stage comeback of their own, send series back to Calgary 5
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 76
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 3
- Report: Chiarelli to join Oilers’ front office 31
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)