Jul 1, 2012, 12:01 PM EST
“Scott is a high-character, hard-working player who is a true professional in every sense,” said general manager Dale Tallon. “He stepped in and played very well in some tough games for us last season, including recording wins against Los Angeles, Vancouver, San Jose, Washington and Philadelphia. We are very pleased to have him back with our club and look forward to his continued contributions to our organization both on and off the ice.”
A few things about this deal:
First, Clemmensen was one of the top pending UFA goalies, which says more about the thinness of the market than the player. He (.915 save percentage) only started 25 games last season, and he’s never started more than 39.
Second, it leaves the Panthers with two goalies under contract. Jose Theodore has one year left on his deal, and according to CapGeek.com, he also has a no-trade clause. So does that take Florida out of the Robert Luongo sweepstakes? Unless Theodore is part of a trade with the Canucks, it would seem to.
Finally, if Luongo (and his $5.3 million cap hit) isn’t coming to the Panthers, it frees up money to spend on other players. Like, perhaps, defenseman Jason Garrison.
Update: ESPN’s Craig Custance reports the Clemmensen deal doesn’t rule out a Luongo trade to Florida.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 4
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 25
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)