Jul 1, 2012, 12:01 PM EDT
“Scott is a high-character, hard-working player who is a true professional in every sense,” said general manager Dale Tallon. “He stepped in and played very well in some tough games for us last season, including recording wins against Los Angeles, Vancouver, San Jose, Washington and Philadelphia. We are very pleased to have him back with our club and look forward to his continued contributions to our organization both on and off the ice.”
A few things about this deal:
First, Clemmensen was one of the top pending UFA goalies, which says more about the thinness of the market than the player. He (.915 save percentage) only started 25 games last season, and he’s never started more than 39.
Second, it leaves the Panthers with two goalies under contract. Jose Theodore has one year left on his deal, and according to CapGeek.com, he also has a no-trade clause. So does that take Florida out of the Robert Luongo sweepstakes? Unless Theodore is part of a trade with the Canucks, it would seem to.
Finally, if Luongo (and his $5.3 million cap hit) isn’t coming to the Panthers, it frees up money to spend on other players. Like, perhaps, defenseman Jason Garrison.
Update: ESPN’s Craig Custance reports the Clemmensen deal doesn’t rule out a Luongo trade to Florida.
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 6
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 15
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 38
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 16
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 38
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)