Jul 1, 2012, 4:31 PM EDT
You can go home again after all.
Mason, 36, began his career in Nashville and spent six seasons there, first backing up Tomas Vokoun then splitting time with Dan Ellis and Pekka Rinne. Now, he’ll be backing up Rinne full-time and hoping to give him the kind of support needed to keep the starter fresh come playoff time
After leaving Nashville, Mason spent two years with St. Louis as a starter and two more with Atlanta/Winnipeg backing up/splitting time with Ondrej Pavelec. Mason’s numbers haven’t been so hot the last two seasons, but that’s in part to playing for teams with lousy defense.
Going back to a familiar place in Nashville, with better defense to boot, should settle him back into form.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 0
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 9
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 36
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 55
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)