Jul 1, 2012, 4:31 PM EDT
You can go home again after all.
Mason, 36, began his career in Nashville and spent six seasons there, first backing up Tomas Vokoun then splitting time with Dan Ellis and Pekka Rinne. Now, he’ll be backing up Rinne full-time and hoping to give him the kind of support needed to keep the starter fresh come playoff time
After leaving Nashville, Mason spent two years with St. Louis as a starter and two more with Atlanta/Winnipeg backing up/splitting time with Ondrej Pavelec. Mason’s numbers haven’t been so hot the last two seasons, but that’s in part to playing for teams with lousy defense.
Going back to a familiar place in Nashville, with better defense to boot, should settle him back into form.
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 0
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)