Jul 1, 2012, 2:21 PM EST
Boyes is coming off a disappointing stint in Buffalo, where he had just 13 goals in 86 games after being traded to the Sabres from St. Louis in February of 2011.
With the Islanders, he’ll hope to forge a better relationship with head coach Jack Capuano than the one he had in Buffalo with Lindy Ruff.
“I want to play for a coach that I respect a lot and that’ll go a long way in the way that I play,” he told CBC.ca recently.
“That starts by communicating with off-ice stuff, saying hi, asking how the family is. Those things go a long way. I’m just looking for a coach that will do that to begin with. Once you get the personal side, then it’s the hockey stuff, with the coach communicating what he likes or doesn’t like about your play.
“I don’t need someone telling me every game, every minute or every shift if I’ve done something good or bad, but every once in a while it’s nice to hear some communication either way to know you’re part of the team and feel important.”
On Long Island, Boyes could see time on Tavares’ wing, particularly if the Isles don’t re-sign PA Parenteau (which it appears they won’t.)
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 0
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 14
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 7
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 16
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)