Jul 1, 2012, 2:21 PM EDT
Boyes is coming off a disappointing stint in Buffalo, where he had just 13 goals in 86 games after being traded to the Sabres from St. Louis in February of 2011.
With the Islanders, he’ll hope to forge a better relationship with head coach Jack Capuano than the one he had in Buffalo with Lindy Ruff.
“I want to play for a coach that I respect a lot and that’ll go a long way in the way that I play,” he told CBC.ca recently.
“That starts by communicating with off-ice stuff, saying hi, asking how the family is. Those things go a long way. I’m just looking for a coach that will do that to begin with. Once you get the personal side, then it’s the hockey stuff, with the coach communicating what he likes or doesn’t like about your play.
“I don’t need someone telling me every game, every minute or every shift if I’ve done something good or bad, but every once in a while it’s nice to hear some communication either way to know you’re part of the team and feel important.”
On Long Island, Boyes could see time on Tavares’ wing, particularly if the Isles don’t re-sign PA Parenteau (which it appears they won’t.)
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 66
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 32
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 8
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination