Jul 1, 2012, 2:21 PM EDT
Boyes is coming off a disappointing stint in Buffalo, where he had just 13 goals in 86 games after being traded to the Sabres from St. Louis in February of 2011.
With the Islanders, he’ll hope to forge a better relationship with head coach Jack Capuano than the one he had in Buffalo with Lindy Ruff.
“I want to play for a coach that I respect a lot and that’ll go a long way in the way that I play,” he told CBC.ca recently.
“That starts by communicating with off-ice stuff, saying hi, asking how the family is. Those things go a long way. I’m just looking for a coach that will do that to begin with. Once you get the personal side, then it’s the hockey stuff, with the coach communicating what he likes or doesn’t like about your play.
“I don’t need someone telling me every game, every minute or every shift if I’ve done something good or bad, but every once in a while it’s nice to hear some communication either way to know you’re part of the team and feel important.”
On Long Island, Boyes could see time on Tavares’ wing, particularly if the Isles don’t re-sign PA Parenteau (which it appears they won’t.)
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 6
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 32
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)