Jul 1, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
Tweeted the 29-year-old forward: “I am so happy to have just agreed to a one year deal with Montreal. So pumped. My fav childhood team. Can’t wait #dreamcometrue”
It was reported Wednesday that the gritty forward had been bought out of the last year of his contract with the Maple Leafs. Beset by injuries, he only appeared in 29 games in 2011-12, scoring once and adding two assists while averaging just 9:19 of ice time per game.
Armstrong’s best NHL season came with the Atlanta Thrashers in 2008-09 when he scored 22 times and had 18 assists. Toronto signed him to a three-year, $9 million contract on July 1, 2010.
In Montreal, he’ll be a popular teammate (he always is) and play for new bench boss Michel Therrien, who coached Armstrong in Pittsburgh.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 2
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 18
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)