Jul 1, 2012, 6:03 PM EDT
After trading Lubomir Visnovsky at the draft, the Anaheim Ducks had a void to fill on their blueline — and on the opening day of free agency, they filled it.
Allen, 31, spent the last season-and-a-half in Carolina after being dealt from Florida at the 2011 trade deadline. The defensive defenseman appeared in 82 games for the ‘Canes last season, recording 1G-13A-14 points while averaging just over 19 minutes a game.
Like everybody not named Brad Boyes, Allen got a raise today. He was making $2.9 million annually on his last deal.
It’ll be interesting to see what other moves Anaheim makes this summer. GM Bob Murray has constructed a solid — if unspectacular — blueline of Allen, Francois Beauchemin, Toni Lydman, Cam Fowler and Luca Sbisa, all for the relatively low price of $14 million.
That could provide flexibility to add salary in any (potential) move involving Bobby Ryan.
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 4
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 58
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)