Jul 1, 2012, 6:03 PM EST
After trading Lubomir Visnovsky at the draft, the Anaheim Ducks had a void to fill on their blueline — and on the opening day of free agency, they filled it.
Allen, 31, spent the last season-and-a-half in Carolina after being dealt from Florida at the 2011 trade deadline. The defensive defenseman appeared in 82 games for the ‘Canes last season, recording 1G-13A-14 points while averaging just over 19 minutes a game.
Like everybody not named Brad Boyes, Allen got a raise today. He was making $2.9 million annually on his last deal.
It’ll be interesting to see what other moves Anaheim makes this summer. GM Bob Murray has constructed a solid — if unspectacular — blueline of Allen, Francois Beauchemin, Toni Lydman, Cam Fowler and Luca Sbisa, all for the relatively low price of $14 million.
That could provide flexibility to add salary in any (potential) move involving Bobby Ryan.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 27
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)