Jun 30, 2012, 12:35 PM EDT
After scoring a total of 33 goals in his first two seasons, Jets forward Evander Kane could be the next big thing. It also means he could be asking for a healthy raise from the Jets and Kirk Penton of the Winnipeg Sun says it’s time for Jets management to pay up.
He obviously deserves plenty more than than the $900,000 salary, $90,000 signing bonus, the $250,000 bonus he got for 30 goals and any other perks he might have received for his play. Give him a good chunk of money ($3 to $4 million per) for a few years, and by the end of that deal the real identity of Evander Kane will be known.
For what it’s worth, that $3-$4 million range would put him third on the team amongst forwards in cap hit and one of the five or six best-paid players on the team.
The question here, of course, is whether or not he’s worth that kind of financial commitment right now. Given the Jets’ offensive struggles, they may be in a similar situation to what they had with Ondrej Pavelec in that Kane is worth a lot to Winnipeg for what he does for them. If Kane keeps potting 30 goals a year, locking him up for $4 million a season might wind up being a bargain.
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 2
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 19
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 38
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)