Jun 30, 2012, 12:35 PM EDT
After scoring a total of 33 goals in his first two seasons, Jets forward Evander Kane could be the next big thing. It also means he could be asking for a healthy raise from the Jets and Kirk Penton of the Winnipeg Sun says it’s time for Jets management to pay up.
He obviously deserves plenty more than than the $900,000 salary, $90,000 signing bonus, the $250,000 bonus he got for 30 goals and any other perks he might have received for his play. Give him a good chunk of money ($3 to $4 million per) for a few years, and by the end of that deal the real identity of Evander Kane will be known.
For what it’s worth, that $3-$4 million range would put him third on the team amongst forwards in cap hit and one of the five or six best-paid players on the team.
The question here, of course, is whether or not he’s worth that kind of financial commitment right now. Given the Jets’ offensive struggles, they may be in a similar situation to what they had with Ondrej Pavelec in that Kane is worth a lot to Winnipeg for what he does for them. If Kane keeps potting 30 goals a year, locking him up for $4 million a season might wind up being a bargain.
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 0
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 0
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 7
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 60
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 61
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 165
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 25
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (165)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)