Jun 30, 2012, 12:35 PM EDT
After scoring a total of 33 goals in his first two seasons, Jets forward Evander Kane could be the next big thing. It also means he could be asking for a healthy raise from the Jets and Kirk Penton of the Winnipeg Sun says it’s time for Jets management to pay up.
He obviously deserves plenty more than than the $900,000 salary, $90,000 signing bonus, the $250,000 bonus he got for 30 goals and any other perks he might have received for his play. Give him a good chunk of money ($3 to $4 million per) for a few years, and by the end of that deal the real identity of Evander Kane will be known.
For what it’s worth, that $3-$4 million range would put him third on the team amongst forwards in cap hit and one of the five or six best-paid players on the team.
The question here, of course, is whether or not he’s worth that kind of financial commitment right now. Given the Jets’ offensive struggles, they may be in a similar situation to what they had with Ondrej Pavelec in that Kane is worth a lot to Winnipeg for what he does for them. If Kane keeps potting 30 goals a year, locking him up for $4 million a season might wind up being a bargain.
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 0
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 8
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 0
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 51
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (51)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)