Jun 30, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Ruslan Fedotenko (LW)
2011-12 cap hit: $1.4 million
The skinny: He’s not flashy, he just gets the job done. Fedotenko is your prototypical third/fourth line winger in that he defends well and just does the job he’s supposed to. He did great as a penalty killer for the Rangers and he’ll score the occasional goal. At 33 he’s a two-time Stanley Cup winner with Tampa Bay and Pittsburgh so he gives you that veteran leadership a contending or young team needs to grow up a bit.
With Fedotenko a team is getting a classic grind-line type of guy. If there are teams in search of bottom-six forwards to fill out the roster and make life easier on their goalies and improve the PK, Fedotenko’s phone will be ringing.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 2
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 23
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 34
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)