Jun 30, 2012, 4:30 PM EST
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Joe Corvo (D)
2011-12 cap hit: $2.25 million
The skinny: All right so your favorite team missed out on Ryan Suter and Matt Carle. Maybe they even missed out on Pavel Kubina or Sheldon Souray and you need a blue liner who can carry the puck and give you a big shot, know this: There’s always Joe Corvo.
Corvo can get you points, that’s never usually a problem. Having him play solid defensively is more his bugaboo. He saw his minutes cut late last season in Boston and was ultimately a healthy scratch in the playoffs in favor of Mike Mottau. Ouch. Still, if your team had hopes of landing Dennis Wideman before Calgary ponied up a king’s ransom, maybe Corvo is who your GM is hoping he’ll land. If that’s the case, however, maybe it’s already time to worry about how your team will do next season.
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 4
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 16
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 59
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5