Jun 30, 2012, 7:00 AM EDT
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Carlo Colaiacovo (D)
2011-12 cap hit: $2.125 million
Any team that signs Colaiacovo needs to accept his lengthy injury history. He played in a career-high 73 games back in 2008-09, but has missed 50 games over the last three seasons with a variety of ailments.
He’s also coming off a disappointing 19-point campaign, his worst showing since he joined the Blues and down from his career-high 32 points in 2009-10.
According to St. Louis Today, Colaiacovo’s tenure with the Blues is probably done — but he shouldn’t have a tough time finding work on the open market.
Colaiacovo is relatively young, capable of chipping in offensively and averaged a solid 19 minutes of ice time in 2011-12. Given the low number of NHL-caliber defensemen set to become UFAs, it wouldn’t be surprising if Colaiacovo ends up with a three-plus year contract — despite his rough season and past injury problems.
More UFA spotlights
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 0
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 69
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 34
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 6
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 63