Jun 30, 2012, 7:00 AM EDT
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Carlo Colaiacovo (D)
2011-12 cap hit: $2.125 million
Any team that signs Colaiacovo needs to accept his lengthy injury history. He played in a career-high 73 games back in 2008-09, but has missed 50 games over the last three seasons with a variety of ailments.
He’s also coming off a disappointing 19-point campaign, his worst showing since he joined the Blues and down from his career-high 32 points in 2009-10.
According to St. Louis Today, Colaiacovo’s tenure with the Blues is probably done — but he shouldn’t have a tough time finding work on the open market.
Colaiacovo is relatively young, capable of chipping in offensively and averaged a solid 19 minutes of ice time in 2011-12. Given the low number of NHL-caliber defensemen set to become UFAs, it wouldn’t be surprising if Colaiacovo ends up with a three-plus year contract — despite his rough season and past injury problems.
More UFA spotlights
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 2
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 14
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 15
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- Tandem locked: Sens re-sign Anderson to three-year, $12.6M deal 9