Jun 30, 2012, 7:00 AM EDT
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Carlo Colaiacovo (D)
2011-12 cap hit: $2.125 million
Any team that signs Colaiacovo needs to accept his lengthy injury history. He played in a career-high 73 games back in 2008-09, but has missed 50 games over the last three seasons with a variety of ailments.
He’s also coming off a disappointing 19-point campaign, his worst showing since he joined the Blues and down from his career-high 32 points in 2009-10.
According to St. Louis Today, Colaiacovo’s tenure with the Blues is probably done — but he shouldn’t have a tough time finding work on the open market.
Colaiacovo is relatively young, capable of chipping in offensively and averaged a solid 19 minutes of ice time in 2011-12. Given the low number of NHL-caliber defensemen set to become UFAs, it wouldn’t be surprising if Colaiacovo ends up with a three-plus year contract — despite his rough season and past injury problems.
More UFA spotlights
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 5
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 28
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 14
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 5
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 5
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)