Jun 30, 2012, 7:00 AM EDT
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Carlo Colaiacovo (D)
2011-12 cap hit: $2.125 million
Any team that signs Colaiacovo needs to accept his lengthy injury history. He played in a career-high 73 games back in 2008-09, but has missed 50 games over the last three seasons with a variety of ailments.
He’s also coming off a disappointing 19-point campaign, his worst showing since he joined the Blues and down from his career-high 32 points in 2009-10.
According to St. Louis Today, Colaiacovo’s tenure with the Blues is probably done — but he shouldn’t have a tough time finding work on the open market.
Colaiacovo is relatively young, capable of chipping in offensively and averaged a solid 19 minutes of ice time in 2011-12. Given the low number of NHL-caliber defensemen set to become UFAs, it wouldn’t be surprising if Colaiacovo ends up with a three-plus year contract — despite his rough season and past injury problems.
More UFA spotlights
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 30
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 36
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 25
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 27
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 19
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 20
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 78
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 112
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 21
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (112)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead