Jun 30, 2012, 9:00 AM EST
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Bryan Allen (D)
2011-12 cap hit: $2.9 million
The skinny: The ‘Canes tried to re-sign Allen, but it didn’t go well. Now, short of the Hurricanes trading his rights, it looks like he’ll become an unrestricted free agent on July 1.
Allen doesn’t excite people with his point production, but he is a capable defensive defenseman. He recorded 111 hits and finished fourth in the league with 188 blocked shots last season, intriguing numbers for any team and especially ones with eyes on the playoffs.
Allen is coming off of a five-year, $14.5 million deal and might seek similar terms for what could be the last big contract of his career. That might appeal to teams that lose out on one of the bigger name defensemen, like Ryan Suter, or don’t feel capable of entering into that bidding war in the first place.
As for suitors…
According to the Orange County Register, the Ducks are among the teams angling for defensive defenseman and could afford a “second-tier” UFA like Allen.
More UFA spotlights
- Marian Gaborik suffers broken collarbone in return to action 8
- Martin Jones improves to 8-0-0, ties NHL record 18
- Vermette gets hat trick, including late tying goal, OT winner 2
- GM Wilson: It’s too early to tell if Hertl’s season is done 26
- A month later, Martin Erat still wants to be traded 11
- Devils lose Brunner for at least four weeks 0
- Video: Ovechkin becomes sixth fastest player to 400 goals in Caps win 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 16
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 37
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 7
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (108)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (104)
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ (72)
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head (71)
- Video: Marchand taunts Canucks with championship miming (69)