Jun 30, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Bryan Allen (D)
2011-12 cap hit: $2.9 million
The skinny: The ‘Canes tried to re-sign Allen, but it didn’t go well. Now, short of the Hurricanes trading his rights, it looks like he’ll become an unrestricted free agent on July 1.
Allen doesn’t excite people with his point production, but he is a capable defensive defenseman. He recorded 111 hits and finished fourth in the league with 188 blocked shots last season, intriguing numbers for any team and especially ones with eyes on the playoffs.
Allen is coming off of a five-year, $14.5 million deal and might seek similar terms for what could be the last big contract of his career. That might appeal to teams that lose out on one of the bigger name defensemen, like Ryan Suter, or don’t feel capable of entering into that bidding war in the first place.
As for suitors…
According to the Orange County Register, the Ducks are among the teams angling for defensive defenseman and could afford a “second-tier” UFA like Allen.
More UFA spotlights
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 25
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 26
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 40
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 53
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)