Jun 30, 2012, 9:00 AM EST
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Bryan Allen (D)
2011-12 cap hit: $2.9 million
The skinny: The ‘Canes tried to re-sign Allen, but it didn’t go well. Now, short of the Hurricanes trading his rights, it looks like he’ll become an unrestricted free agent on July 1.
Allen doesn’t excite people with his point production, but he is a capable defensive defenseman. He recorded 111 hits and finished fourth in the league with 188 blocked shots last season, intriguing numbers for any team and especially ones with eyes on the playoffs.
Allen is coming off of a five-year, $14.5 million deal and might seek similar terms for what could be the last big contract of his career. That might appeal to teams that lose out on one of the bigger name defensemen, like Ryan Suter, or don’t feel capable of entering into that bidding war in the first place.
As for suitors…
According to the Orange County Register, the Ducks are among the teams angling for defensive defenseman and could afford a “second-tier” UFA like Allen.
More UFA spotlights
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 11
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 40
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 38
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)