Jun 30, 2012, 6:30 PM EST
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Brad Boyes (C/RW)
2011-12 cap hit: $4 million
The skinny: The former 40-goal scorer has had a bit of a bad time in recent years. Since that monster season in St. Louis, Boyes’ goal numbers have fallen off the table as if his name was Jonathan Cheechoo. In the four seasons since potting 43, Boyes has scored 72 goals and that includes a 33-goal season. Not good.
Boyes finished last year with just eight goals and proved to be one of many frustrating players for the Sabres. When wind up in the same conversation as Ville Leino when it comes to production, that’s not good. Boyes could be someone’s Plan C when it comes to finding a scoring forward. At this point now, he’s a depth guy you can’t bank on scoring goals the way he did just four years ago.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 7
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)