Jun 30, 2012, 6:30 PM EDT
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Brad Boyes (C/RW)
2011-12 cap hit: $4 million
The skinny: The former 40-goal scorer has had a bit of a bad time in recent years. Since that monster season in St. Louis, Boyes’ goal numbers have fallen off the table as if his name was Jonathan Cheechoo. In the four seasons since potting 43, Boyes has scored 72 goals and that includes a 33-goal season. Not good.
Boyes finished last year with just eight goals and proved to be one of many frustrating players for the Sabres. When wind up in the same conversation as Ville Leino when it comes to production, that’s not good. Boyes could be someone’s Plan C when it comes to finding a scoring forward. At this point now, he’s a depth guy you can’t bank on scoring goals the way he did just four years ago.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)