Jun 30, 2012, 7:30 PM EDT
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Alexei Ponikarovsky (LW)
2011-12 cap hit: $1.5 million
The skinny: Ponikarovsky seemed to find a place that worked perfect for him in New Jersey after being dealt there by Carolina. Ponikarovsky went from being a long-time Maple Leaf to hopping from team to team. Pittsburgh, Los Angeles, and Carolina all tried to make it work but failed. Ponikarovsky had 18 points in 33 games for the Devils last season, more than what he had in 49 games for Carolina, and had a stunning knack for coming up huge in big spots.
Does that parlay into a sweet free agent deal, though? At this point after watching Ponikarovsky not work out so well for three teams, that’s enough of a track record to keep other teams from dumping out a ton of cash. He might stay in New Jersey, but should he bolt he might wait a bit for an offer while others find their landing spots first.
- Armstrong: ‘Let’s live to fight another day’ 0
- Hitch needs ‘time to reflect’ before making decision on future 17
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 8
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 39
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 38
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 10
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 31
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)