Jun 30, 2012, 7:30 PM EDT
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Alexei Ponikarovsky (LW)
2011-12 cap hit: $1.5 million
The skinny: Ponikarovsky seemed to find a place that worked perfect for him in New Jersey after being dealt there by Carolina. Ponikarovsky went from being a long-time Maple Leaf to hopping from team to team. Pittsburgh, Los Angeles, and Carolina all tried to make it work but failed. Ponikarovsky had 18 points in 33 games for the Devils last season, more than what he had in 49 games for Carolina, and had a stunning knack for coming up huge in big spots.
Does that parlay into a sweet free agent deal, though? At this point after watching Ponikarovsky not work out so well for three teams, that’s enough of a track record to keep other teams from dumping out a ton of cash. He might stay in New Jersey, but should he bolt he might wait a bit for an offer while others find their landing spots first.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 29
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 38
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)