Jun 30, 2012, 6:00 AM EDT
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Adrian Aucoin (D)
2011-12 cap hit: $2 million
Aucoin’s numbers have been going downhill since 2007-08, but they really plummeted last season — chronologically, his point totals have gone from 35 to 34 to 28 to 22 to just nine in 2011-12.
Not exactly what you’d call an ideal “contract year,” though he deserves some leeway because of injuries.
While his box score numbers keep declining, he’s still averaging more than 20 minutes per game on one of the best defensive teams in the NHL. (I’m not a big fan of plus/minus, but his agent would be wise to point to his +32 rating between the past two seasons.)
As for Aucoin’s future, there’s talk of him possibly retiring. That’s one option, and to be honest there aren’t many others if Phoenix doesn’t want him back. Perhaps with all the upheaval — Keith Yandle, Ray Whitney and Shane Doan could all be gone after this summer — the Coyotes might want to keep the aging, veteran presence around for another year.
If not, he could get a modest offer from a team looking for blueline depth, though that will likely require a downgrade from his $2 million salary.
More UFA spotlights
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (48)