Jun 30, 2012, 6:00 AM EDT
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Adrian Aucoin (D)
2011-12 cap hit: $2 million
Aucoin’s numbers have been going downhill since 2007-08, but they really plummeted last season — chronologically, his point totals have gone from 35 to 34 to 28 to 22 to just nine in 2011-12.
Not exactly what you’d call an ideal “contract year,” though he deserves some leeway because of injuries.
While his box score numbers keep declining, he’s still averaging more than 20 minutes per game on one of the best defensive teams in the NHL. (I’m not a big fan of plus/minus, but his agent would be wise to point to his +32 rating between the past two seasons.)
As for Aucoin’s future, there’s talk of him possibly retiring. That’s one option, and to be honest there aren’t many others if Phoenix doesn’t want him back. Perhaps with all the upheaval — Keith Yandle, Ray Whitney and Shane Doan could all be gone after this summer — the Coyotes might want to keep the aging, veteran presence around for another year.
If not, he could get a modest offer from a team looking for blueline depth, though that will likely require a downgrade from his $2 million salary.
More UFA spotlights
- Kings stave off elimination, force Game 5 against Sharks 12
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 49
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 31
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 11
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)