Jun 30, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Ray Whitney (LW)
2011-12 cap hit: $3 million
The skinny: Whitney, 40, finished tied for 12th in the NHL in points last season with 77. He was the Coyotes’ leading assist man with 53 and showed that one of the league’s elder statesmen can still get it done.
If there’s one thing Whitney brings to the table in free agency, it’s consistency. In the past four seasons, his point totals have been: 77, 58, 57, and 77 — all those after turning 35.
At some point the gravy train is going to come to an end, but he’s the perfect candidate for a one-year contract with a contender in need of some offense. The Bruins have salivated over Whitney throughout the last two seasons and, depending on how things go in their hunt for Zach Parise, the Red Wings could take a shot at bringing Whitney back into the fold.
Yes, that’s right — back into the fold. In case you forgot, the Wizard played 67 games in Detroit during the 2003-04 season, finishing with 14G-29A-43PTS.
More UFA spotlights
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 10
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 23
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 12
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 55
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39