Jun 30, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Ray Whitney (LW)
2011-12 cap hit: $3 million
The skinny: Whitney, 40, finished tied for 12th in the NHL in points last season with 77. He was the Coyotes’ leading assist man with 53 and showed that one of the league’s elder statesmen can still get it done.
If there’s one thing Whitney brings to the table in free agency, it’s consistency. In the past four seasons, his point totals have been: 77, 58, 57, and 77 — all those after turning 35.
At some point the gravy train is going to come to an end, but he’s the perfect candidate for a one-year contract with a contender in need of some offense. The Bruins have salivated over Whitney throughout the last two seasons and, depending on how things go in their hunt for Zach Parise, the Red Wings could take a shot at bringing Whitney back into the fold.
Yes, that’s right — back into the fold. In case you forgot, the Wizard played 67 games in Detroit during the 2003-04 season, finishing with 14G-29A-43PTS.
More UFA spotlights
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 5
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 36
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 24
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 32
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)