Jun 30, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Ray Whitney (LW)
2011-12 cap hit: $3 million
The skinny: Whitney, 40, finished tied for 12th in the NHL in points last season with 77. He was the Coyotes’ leading assist man with 53 and showed that one of the league’s elder statesmen can still get it done.
If there’s one thing Whitney brings to the table in free agency, it’s consistency. In the past four seasons, his point totals have been: 77, 58, 57, and 77 — all those after turning 35.
At some point the gravy train is going to come to an end, but he’s the perfect candidate for a one-year contract with a contender in need of some offense. The Bruins have salivated over Whitney throughout the last two seasons and, depending on how things go in their hunt for Zach Parise, the Red Wings could take a shot at bringing Whitney back into the fold.
Yes, that’s right — back into the fold. In case you forgot, the Wizard played 67 games in Detroit during the 2003-04 season, finishing with 14G-29A-43PTS.
More UFA spotlights
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 74
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 32
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (75)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)