Jun 30, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Ray Whitney (LW)
2011-12 cap hit: $3 million
The skinny: Whitney, 40, finished tied for 12th in the NHL in points last season with 77. He was the Coyotes’ leading assist man with 53 and showed that one of the league’s elder statesmen can still get it done.
If there’s one thing Whitney brings to the table in free agency, it’s consistency. In the past four seasons, his point totals have been: 77, 58, 57, and 77 — all those after turning 35.
At some point the gravy train is going to come to an end, but he’s the perfect candidate for a one-year contract with a contender in need of some offense. The Bruins have salivated over Whitney throughout the last two seasons and, depending on how things go in their hunt for Zach Parise, the Red Wings could take a shot at bringing Whitney back into the fold.
Yes, that’s right — back into the fold. In case you forgot, the Wizard played 67 games in Detroit during the 2003-04 season, finishing with 14G-29A-43PTS.
More UFA spotlights
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (59)