Jun 30, 2012, 5:08 PM EDT
Short of a shocking turn of events, Ryan Suter will become an unrestricted free agent on Sunday. He’ll have plenty of teams interested in him and plenty of media attention — and all the while he’ll be at his farm.
As ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun reported, Suter doesn’t plan on meeting with his potential suitors in person. Instead, his suitors can contact his agent, Neil Sheehy.
The Detroit Red Wings, Minnesota Wild, and Pittsburgh Penguins are expected to be among the teams that will speak to Sheehy on Sunday.
Suter will then weigh his options, a process which is likely to drag into next week.
Sheehy doesn’t think Suter will sign on Sunday “because I think tomorrow will be very busy and he’ll need to carefully consider all the information.”
Suter is also expected to consider simply staying with the Nashville Predators.
“Ryan is going to have a look on July 1, and based from talking with him, I’m sure he’s going to come back to us (to talk),” Predators GM David Poile told the Tennessean. “I’m not going to say if it’s July 1, or July 2 he’s going to come back to us. We’re going to talk about what’s out there and how that compares with the situation in Nashville.”
It should be an interesting story to follow – and one that will likely still be unresolved by the start of business on Monday.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 21
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 5
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 9
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 14
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)