Jun 30, 2012, 5:08 PM EST
Short of a shocking turn of events, Ryan Suter will become an unrestricted free agent on Sunday. He’ll have plenty of teams interested in him and plenty of media attention — and all the while he’ll be at his farm.
As ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun reported, Suter doesn’t plan on meeting with his potential suitors in person. Instead, his suitors can contact his agent, Neil Sheehy.
The Detroit Red Wings, Minnesota Wild, and Pittsburgh Penguins are expected to be among the teams that will speak to Sheehy on Sunday.
Suter will then weigh his options, a process which is likely to drag into next week.
Sheehy doesn’t think Suter will sign on Sunday “because I think tomorrow will be very busy and he’ll need to carefully consider all the information.”
Suter is also expected to consider simply staying with the Nashville Predators.
“Ryan is going to have a look on July 1, and based from talking with him, I’m sure he’s going to come back to us (to talk),” Predators GM David Poile told the Tennessean. “I’m not going to say if it’s July 1, or July 2 he’s going to come back to us. We’re going to talk about what’s out there and how that compares with the situation in Nashville.”
It should be an interesting story to follow – and one that will likely still be unresolved by the start of business on Monday.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 0
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 2
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 20
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)