Jun 30, 2012, 5:08 PM EDT
Short of a shocking turn of events, Ryan Suter will become an unrestricted free agent on Sunday. He’ll have plenty of teams interested in him and plenty of media attention — and all the while he’ll be at his farm.
As ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun reported, Suter doesn’t plan on meeting with his potential suitors in person. Instead, his suitors can contact his agent, Neil Sheehy.
The Detroit Red Wings, Minnesota Wild, and Pittsburgh Penguins are expected to be among the teams that will speak to Sheehy on Sunday.
Suter will then weigh his options, a process which is likely to drag into next week.
Sheehy doesn’t think Suter will sign on Sunday “because I think tomorrow will be very busy and he’ll need to carefully consider all the information.”
Suter is also expected to consider simply staying with the Nashville Predators.
“Ryan is going to have a look on July 1, and based from talking with him, I’m sure he’s going to come back to us (to talk),” Predators GM David Poile told the Tennessean. “I’m not going to say if it’s July 1, or July 2 he’s going to come back to us. We’re going to talk about what’s out there and how that compares with the situation in Nashville.”
It should be an interesting story to follow – and one that will likely still be unresolved by the start of business on Monday.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 21
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 38
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)