Jun 30, 2012, 5:08 PM EDT
Short of a shocking turn of events, Ryan Suter will become an unrestricted free agent on Sunday. He’ll have plenty of teams interested in him and plenty of media attention — and all the while he’ll be at his farm.
As ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun reported, Suter doesn’t plan on meeting with his potential suitors in person. Instead, his suitors can contact his agent, Neil Sheehy.
The Detroit Red Wings, Minnesota Wild, and Pittsburgh Penguins are expected to be among the teams that will speak to Sheehy on Sunday.
Suter will then weigh his options, a process which is likely to drag into next week.
Sheehy doesn’t think Suter will sign on Sunday “because I think tomorrow will be very busy and he’ll need to carefully consider all the information.”
Suter is also expected to consider simply staying with the Nashville Predators.
“Ryan is going to have a look on July 1, and based from talking with him, I’m sure he’s going to come back to us (to talk),” Predators GM David Poile told the Tennessean. “I’m not going to say if it’s July 1, or July 2 he’s going to come back to us. We’re going to talk about what’s out there and how that compares with the situation in Nashville.”
It should be an interesting story to follow – and one that will likely still be unresolved by the start of business on Monday.
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 1
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 38
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 5
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 3
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 47
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 54
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)