Jun 30, 2012, 12:47 PM EST
The Penguins are continuing to make sure their house is in order ahead of the July 1 frenzy.
Niskanen finished this past season with 21 points working as a third-pair defenseman for the team. Niskanen also had three points in the playoffs for the Pens in their opening round loss to Philly. Niskanen was part of the deal with Dallas that also brought James Neal to the Penguins and it’s safe to say that’s working out well for Pittsburgh.
Now Niskanen has the opportunity to grab a top-four defensive spot with the team with Zbynek Michalek sent to Phoenix, but with the Pens also in pursuit of Ryan Suter his third pairing spot should be secure. According to CapGeek.com, the Penguins now have $12.2 million in cap space to spend like drunken sailors tomorrow.
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 13
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 12
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 0
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 21
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 13
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 9
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 10
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)