Jun 30, 2012, 12:47 PM EDT
The Penguins are continuing to make sure their house is in order ahead of the July 1 frenzy.
Niskanen finished this past season with 21 points working as a third-pair defenseman for the team. Niskanen also had three points in the playoffs for the Pens in their opening round loss to Philly. Niskanen was part of the deal with Dallas that also brought James Neal to the Penguins and it’s safe to say that’s working out well for Pittsburgh.
Now Niskanen has the opportunity to grab a top-four defensive spot with the team with Zbynek Michalek sent to Phoenix, but with the Pens also in pursuit of Ryan Suter his third pairing spot should be secure. According to CapGeek.com, the Penguins now have $12.2 million in cap space to spend like drunken sailors tomorrow.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)