Jun 30, 2012, 6:02 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings are gearing up for an eventful start to July.
After losing Nicklas Lidstrom and Brad Stuart, the Red Wings have a lot of cap space and a major hole in their defense. They’re hoping to get Ryan Suter to fill the void, but that won’t be the only player they target.
Detroit also frequently comes up when people talk about potential destinations for Zach Parise and they might go after some of the other big name free agents out there like Jaromir Jagr, Shane Doan, Ray Whitney, and Alexander Semin.
Whatever the case, Red Wings coach Mike Babcock is ready to do his part.
“I’m in a position to fly wherever they want me to fly,” Babcock told the NHL Network. “We’re a work in progress, so we’re talking each and every day about the moves that we’re trying to make, and we kind of have an A Plan, a B Plan, a C Plan, and we’ve probably got even a D Plan. I’m just going to be ready to go.”
Babcock added that the Red Wings played significantly under the cap in 2011-12 “on purpose to kind of be set up for going ahead.”
Perhaps he means that they had their eyes on big name targets like Parise and Suter. If so, we’ll find out soon enough if their patience will pay off.
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 4
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 6
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 7
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18