Jun 30, 2012, 6:02 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings are gearing up for an eventful start to July.
After losing Nicklas Lidstrom and Brad Stuart, the Red Wings have a lot of cap space and a major hole in their defense. They’re hoping to get Ryan Suter to fill the void, but that won’t be the only player they target.
Detroit also frequently comes up when people talk about potential destinations for Zach Parise and they might go after some of the other big name free agents out there like Jaromir Jagr, Shane Doan, Ray Whitney, and Alexander Semin.
Whatever the case, Red Wings coach Mike Babcock is ready to do his part.
“I’m in a position to fly wherever they want me to fly,” Babcock told the NHL Network. “We’re a work in progress, so we’re talking each and every day about the moves that we’re trying to make, and we kind of have an A Plan, a B Plan, a C Plan, and we’ve probably got even a D Plan. I’m just going to be ready to go.”
Babcock added that the Red Wings played significantly under the cap in 2011-12 “on purpose to kind of be set up for going ahead.”
Perhaps he means that they had their eyes on big name targets like Parise and Suter. If so, we’ll find out soon enough if their patience will pay off.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)