Jun 29, 2012, 2:23 PM EDT
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Sheldon Souray (D)
2011-12 cap hit: $1.65 million
The skinny: Souray’s goals appear to have shifted with the free agent market.
Originally, he stated his desire to stay in Dallas after a successful comeback season with the Stars, one that saw him notch 21 points in 65 games while averaging over 20 minutes per night.
Then things changed.
A report from Fan 590’s Andy Strickland claimed Souray rejected Dallas’ one-year, $3 million dollar offer, suggesting a couple variables entered the equation.
One, length of term. Souray probably wanted more than a single season, given he’s been a hockey nomad over the last three years (Edmonton, Hershey and Dallas).
Two, Souray likely recognized the market was thinning out. When he (allegedly) rejected Dallas’s offer, UFA defensemen Johnny Oduya, Jamie McBain, Alex Sulzer and Clayton Stoner had already been signed.
The more the market dwindles the higher Souray’s value becomes. He also benefits by having a particular skill set, namely his booming shot (left-handed!) and ability to man the power play.
On that note, St. Louis had a mediocre power play last season and GM Doug Armstrong recently told BND.com he’s in the market for a left-handed defenseman.
More UFA spotlights
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 17
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34