Jun 29, 2012, 2:23 PM EDT
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Sheldon Souray (D)
2011-12 cap hit: $1.65 million
The skinny: Souray’s goals appear to have shifted with the free agent market.
Originally, he stated his desire to stay in Dallas after a successful comeback season with the Stars, one that saw him notch 21 points in 65 games while averaging over 20 minutes per night.
Then things changed.
A report from Fan 590’s Andy Strickland claimed Souray rejected Dallas’ one-year, $3 million dollar offer, suggesting a couple variables entered the equation.
One, length of term. Souray probably wanted more than a single season, given he’s been a hockey nomad over the last three years (Edmonton, Hershey and Dallas).
Two, Souray likely recognized the market was thinning out. When he (allegedly) rejected Dallas’s offer, UFA defensemen Johnny Oduya, Jamie McBain, Alex Sulzer and Clayton Stoner had already been signed.
The more the market dwindles the higher Souray’s value becomes. He also benefits by having a particular skill set, namely his booming shot (left-handed!) and ability to man the power play.
On that note, St. Louis had a mediocre power play last season and GM Doug Armstrong recently told BND.com he’s in the market for a left-handed defenseman.
More UFA spotlights
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 2
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 12
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 53
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 19
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 16
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)