Jun 29, 2012, 2:23 PM EDT
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Sheldon Souray (D)
2011-12 cap hit: $1.65 million
The skinny: Souray’s goals appear to have shifted with the free agent market.
Originally, he stated his desire to stay in Dallas after a successful comeback season with the Stars, one that saw him notch 21 points in 65 games while averaging over 20 minutes per night.
Then things changed.
A report from Fan 590’s Andy Strickland claimed Souray rejected Dallas’ one-year, $3 million dollar offer, suggesting a couple variables entered the equation.
One, length of term. Souray probably wanted more than a single season, given he’s been a hockey nomad over the last three years (Edmonton, Hershey and Dallas).
Two, Souray likely recognized the market was thinning out. When he (allegedly) rejected Dallas’s offer, UFA defensemen Johnny Oduya, Jamie McBain, Alex Sulzer and Clayton Stoner had already been signed.
The more the market dwindles the higher Souray’s value becomes. He also benefits by having a particular skill set, namely his booming shot (left-handed!) and ability to man the power play.
On that note, St. Louis had a mediocre power play last season and GM Doug Armstrong recently told BND.com he’s in the market for a left-handed defenseman.
More UFA spotlights
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 4
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 30
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)