Jun 29, 2012, 10:20 AM EDT
All week leading up to Sunday, July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Pavel Kubina (D)
2011-12 cap hit: $3.85 million
Considering Philadelphia repeatedly made him a healthy scratch during the playoffs, it’s tough to imagine GM Paul Holmgren bringing him back. Maybe Kubina’s right-handed shot gives him an outside chance, but that’s about it.
Kubina’s served two tours of duty with the Tampa Bay Lightning (who traded him to Philly), so perhaps GM Steve Yzerman gives him another look. As flawed as the big 35-year-old defenseman might be, he has size, a hard shot and the Bolts need as much defensive help as they can get.
Another reasonable suitor is Calgary. If the Flames were willing to give a similarly (but less useful) flawed specimen such as Anton Babchuk a try, Kubina might just make sense.
(And maybe the Carolina Hurricanes should be placed on that dart board because of their previous interest in Babchuk, too.)
All this said, it’s tough to imagine a hot market for Kubina, but it’s almost as tough to imagine his NHL days being over — unless the KHL comes calling.
More UFA spotlights
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)