Jun 29, 2012, 10:20 AM EDT
All week leading up to Sunday, July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Pavel Kubina (D)
2011-12 cap hit: $3.85 million
Considering Philadelphia repeatedly made him a healthy scratch during the playoffs, it’s tough to imagine GM Paul Holmgren bringing him back. Maybe Kubina’s right-handed shot gives him an outside chance, but that’s about it.
Kubina’s served two tours of duty with the Tampa Bay Lightning (who traded him to Philly), so perhaps GM Steve Yzerman gives him another look. As flawed as the big 35-year-old defenseman might be, he has size, a hard shot and the Bolts need as much defensive help as they can get.
Another reasonable suitor is Calgary. If the Flames were willing to give a similarly (but less useful) flawed specimen such as Anton Babchuk a try, Kubina might just make sense.
(And maybe the Carolina Hurricanes should be placed on that dart board because of their previous interest in Babchuk, too.)
All this said, it’s tough to imagine a hot market for Kubina, but it’s almost as tough to imagine his NHL days being over — unless the KHL comes calling.
More UFA spotlights
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)