Jun 29, 2012, 5:04 PM EDT
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Paul Gaustad (C)
2011-12 cap hit: $2.3 million
The skinny: After rolling the dice and giving up a first-round pick for Gaustad at the deadline, Nashville would love to retain his services.
The burly centerman has some toughness (though Ryan Miller might argue about that) and he wins faceoffs more often than not.
Gaustad is a third- or fourth-line center and has the kind of snarl organizations are looking for out of a grind line guy. A team looking for depth up the middle could do well in adding Gaustad, but he struggled in the postseason for Nashville playing just over 11 minutes a game.
More UFA spotlights
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)