Jun 29, 2012, 5:04 PM EDT
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Paul Gaustad (C)
2011-12 cap hit: $2.3 million
The skinny: After rolling the dice and giving up a first-round pick for Gaustad at the deadline, Nashville would love to retain his services.
The burly centerman has some toughness (though Ryan Miller might argue about that) and he wins faceoffs more often than not.
Gaustad is a third- or fourth-line center and has the kind of snarl organizations are looking for out of a grind line guy. A team looking for depth up the middle could do well in adding Gaustad, but he struggled in the postseason for Nashville playing just over 11 minutes a game.
More UFA spotlights
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 43
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)