Jun 29, 2012, 5:07 PM EDT
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Arron Asham (F)
2011-12 cap hit: $775,000
According to Josh Yohe of the Tribune-Review, it’s “looking more and more unlikely” that Asham will re-sign in Pittsburgh.
Not that Asham wants to leave. The tough 34-year-old that’s spent time with the Canadiens, Islanders, Devils, Flyers and Penguins is happy where he is.
“I definitely would like to stay here,” he said a couple of weeks ago. “I’m extremely happy here. My family loves it here. So do I. It’s a solid team, and I want to be a part of it. I want to win a Stanley Cup, and I think we’ve got the horses here to do it.”
Asham is a fourth-liner that doesn’t mind dropping the gloves (or Jay Beagle, for that matter), but not quite a heavyweight like Brian McGrattan or Cam Janssen. However, he can play more minutes than your average enforcer and has eclipsed the 20-point plateau six times in his career.
For a team looking for so-called “toughness that can play,” Asham could be a nice fit.
More UFA spotlights
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 26
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 32
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 54
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 14
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 95
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 29
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 58
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (90)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree reportedly tears achilles, out for year
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings