Jun 29, 2012, 5:07 PM EST
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Arron Asham (F)
2011-12 cap hit: $775,000
According to Josh Yohe of the Tribune-Review, it’s “looking more and more unlikely” that Asham will re-sign in Pittsburgh.
Not that Asham wants to leave. The tough 34-year-old that’s spent time with the Canadiens, Islanders, Devils, Flyers and Penguins is happy where he is.
“I definitely would like to stay here,” he said a couple of weeks ago. “I’m extremely happy here. My family loves it here. So do I. It’s a solid team, and I want to be a part of it. I want to win a Stanley Cup, and I think we’ve got the horses here to do it.”
Asham is a fourth-liner that doesn’t mind dropping the gloves (or Jay Beagle, for that matter), but not quite a heavyweight like Brian McGrattan or Cam Janssen. However, he can play more minutes than your average enforcer and has eclipsed the 20-point plateau six times in his career.
For a team looking for so-called “toughness that can play,” Asham could be a nice fit.
More UFA spotlights
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 3
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 0
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 16
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 17
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10