Jun 29, 2012, 5:07 PM EDT
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Arron Asham (F)
2011-12 cap hit: $775,000
According to Josh Yohe of the Tribune-Review, it’s “looking more and more unlikely” that Asham will re-sign in Pittsburgh.
Not that Asham wants to leave. The tough 34-year-old that’s spent time with the Canadiens, Islanders, Devils, Flyers and Penguins is happy where he is.
“I definitely would like to stay here,” he said a couple of weeks ago. “I’m extremely happy here. My family loves it here. So do I. It’s a solid team, and I want to be a part of it. I want to win a Stanley Cup, and I think we’ve got the horses here to do it.”
Asham is a fourth-liner that doesn’t mind dropping the gloves (or Jay Beagle, for that matter), but not quite a heavyweight like Brian McGrattan or Cam Janssen. However, he can play more minutes than your average enforcer and has eclipsed the 20-point plateau six times in his career.
For a team looking for so-called “toughness that can play,” Asham could be a nice fit.
More UFA spotlights
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 17
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 9
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54