Jun 29, 2012, 5:07 PM EDT
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Arron Asham (F)
2011-12 cap hit: $775,000
According to Josh Yohe of the Tribune-Review, it’s “looking more and more unlikely” that Asham will re-sign in Pittsburgh.
Not that Asham wants to leave. The tough 34-year-old that’s spent time with the Canadiens, Islanders, Devils, Flyers and Penguins is happy where he is.
“I definitely would like to stay here,” he said a couple of weeks ago. “I’m extremely happy here. My family loves it here. So do I. It’s a solid team, and I want to be a part of it. I want to win a Stanley Cup, and I think we’ve got the horses here to do it.”
Asham is a fourth-liner that doesn’t mind dropping the gloves (or Jay Beagle, for that matter), but not quite a heavyweight like Brian McGrattan or Cam Janssen. However, he can play more minutes than your average enforcer and has eclipsed the 20-point plateau six times in his career.
For a team looking for so-called “toughness that can play,” Asham could be a nice fit.
More UFA spotlights
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 16
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 10
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 42
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 54
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (44)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)