Jun 29, 2012, 2:42 PM EST
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Andrei Kostitsyn (RW)
2011-12 cap hit: $3.25 million
Kostitsyn has a lengthy history of up-and-downs and missed expectations. All the same, he might be best known as the other guy involved in the Alexander Radulov curfew controversy. They both come with baggage and it looks like neither of them will play for the Predators next season — but that’s where the similarities end.
Kostitsyn turned 27 in February and has only reached the 50-point mark once in his career. (He’s coming off a 36-point campaign.) Unlike Radulov, teams aren’t going to sign Kostitsyn with the hope that everything will finally click and he’ll serve as a primary contributor. At the most, they’ll be hoping he’ll fit in as a second liner who’s capable of providing some secondary scoring.
Kostitsyn will likely end up with a one- or two-year deal, a modest salary, and the opportunity to get back to the level that produced three 20-goal seasons in Montreal.
More UFA spotlights
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 0
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 15
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 8
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)