Jun 29, 2012, 2:42 PM EDT
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Andrei Kostitsyn (RW)
2011-12 cap hit: $3.25 million
Kostitsyn has a lengthy history of up-and-downs and missed expectations. All the same, he might be best known as the other guy involved in the Alexander Radulov curfew controversy. They both come with baggage and it looks like neither of them will play for the Predators next season — but that’s where the similarities end.
Kostitsyn turned 27 in February and has only reached the 50-point mark once in his career. (He’s coming off a 36-point campaign.) Unlike Radulov, teams aren’t going to sign Kostitsyn with the hope that everything will finally click and he’ll serve as a primary contributor. At the most, they’ll be hoping he’ll fit in as a second liner who’s capable of providing some secondary scoring.
Kostitsyn will likely end up with a one- or two-year deal, a modest salary, and the opportunity to get back to the level that produced three 20-goal seasons in Montreal.
More UFA spotlights
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)