Jun 29, 2012, 8:50 PM EDT
As we’ve mentioned before, the New Jersey Devils have plenty of questions to answer this off-season, even after they settle the Zach Parise and Martin Brodeur situations. After an unlikely-hot postseason run, retaining defenseman Bryce Salvador ranks as one of the most prominent conundrums. Tom Gulitti caught up with Salvador, who said that he hopes to stay in New Jersey but understands the franchise’s priorities.
“I think I’m third in line,” Salvador told me today. “We’ll see what happens with Zach and Marty first. There’s interest from both us and them, but there’s other things they have to figure out first. So, we’ll just kind of see how it plays out. It’s going to be an interesting next couple of days.”
Again, Salvador would prefer to continue his run as a member of the Devils, yet it’s not too surprising that he’s fairly optimistic about the situation.
“I think it’s pretty exciting just the prospect of going into free agency and the way things have gone the last couple of years from not playing and then coming back and then being in a position that if for some reason something doesn’t work out with the Devils, I’ll be playing (somewhere),” Salvador said. “That’s kind of how I look at it. My first choice is the Devils, but I’m just more glad I’m in the position that I’m able to continue to play. That’s kind of been my goal and my focus.”
Salvador said that he’ll take his time before making a decision. Gulitti points out that he’s never been an unrestricted free agent before. Considering what might be a once-in-a-lifetime playoff performance, he picked a great time for that to happen.
Even if he sticks with the Devils.
- Armstrong: ‘Let’s live to fight another day’ 0
- Hitch needs ‘time to reflect’ before making decision on future 17
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 7
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 39
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 38
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 10
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 31
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)