Jun 29, 2012, 8:50 PM EDT
As we’ve mentioned before, the New Jersey Devils have plenty of questions to answer this off-season, even after they settle the Zach Parise and Martin Brodeur situations. After an unlikely-hot postseason run, retaining defenseman Bryce Salvador ranks as one of the most prominent conundrums. Tom Gulitti caught up with Salvador, who said that he hopes to stay in New Jersey but understands the franchise’s priorities.
“I think I’m third in line,” Salvador told me today. “We’ll see what happens with Zach and Marty first. There’s interest from both us and them, but there’s other things they have to figure out first. So, we’ll just kind of see how it plays out. It’s going to be an interesting next couple of days.”
Again, Salvador would prefer to continue his run as a member of the Devils, yet it’s not too surprising that he’s fairly optimistic about the situation.
“I think it’s pretty exciting just the prospect of going into free agency and the way things have gone the last couple of years from not playing and then coming back and then being in a position that if for some reason something doesn’t work out with the Devils, I’ll be playing (somewhere),” Salvador said. “That’s kind of how I look at it. My first choice is the Devils, but I’m just more glad I’m in the position that I’m able to continue to play. That’s kind of been my goal and my focus.”
Salvador said that he’ll take his time before making a decision. Gulitti points out that he’s never been an unrestricted free agent before. Considering what might be a once-in-a-lifetime playoff performance, he picked a great time for that to happen.
Even if he sticks with the Devils.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)