Report: Brodeur may end up in the Sunshine State

Jun 29, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT

brodeurgetty Getty Images

Martin Brodeur could join the Lightning or Panthers next season, a source told RDS reporter Renaud Lavoie.

In case you missed it, Brodeur is reportedly “very likely” to test free agency Sunday after failing to agree to a contract with the New Jersey Devils. Granted, there’s still time to strike a deal, but it’s getting pretty late in the process.

Tampa Bay makes sense as a destination given the Lightning’s lack of proven NHL goaltending. Anders Lindback was acquired from Nashville a couple of weeks ago, but the 24-year-old has just 28 starts under his belt. Mathieu Garon has a year left on his contract ($1.2 million cap hit); however, the 34-year-old’s play was mediocre last season.

For Brodeur, Tampa Bay offers the chance to play with stars Steven Stamkos and Martin St. Louis on a team with an outside shot of contending for the Stanley Cup.

As for the Panthers, we were actually under the impression they were “getting ready for the return of Roberto Luongo.” But you never know – maybe Brodeur’s availability will make them think twice. One of the most successful goalies in NHL history could prove a good role model for young Jacob Markstrom.

1. bensawesomeness - Jun 29, 2012 at 3:18 PM

there’s a ‘Taking my talents to South Beach’ joke in here somewhere

2. boltindc - Jun 29, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Dreaming.

3. leeeroooyjeeenkiiins - Jun 29, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Funny, I was jokingly going to comment on the other article about him coming to the Lightning, then I see this.

However, it’s a very incomplete rumor, and my guess is that the Lightning are probably looking at veteran backups to help Lindback, not a starter. It would be very exciting to be sure, but I don’t see him coming to Tampa.

4. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Jun 29, 2012 at 4:00 PM

I don’t see this happening. Not a chance.

5. martysbetter - Jun 29, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Seeing Marty in a different sweater is just too weird for me to imagine.

• tru2joelu4eva - Jun 29, 2012 at 4:40 PM

sorry to so closely paraphrase your comment, i didn’t read them before i made mine….

6. tru2joelu4eva - Jun 29, 2012 at 4:39 PM

this is really surprising. it almost seems blasphemous to think to marty in any other sweater… like thinking of lidstrom in a pens jersey or something.

7. kingfooj - Jun 29, 2012 at 5:57 PM

objectively speaking, marty to florida makes a lot more sense from floridas stand point than taking lu: 1) shorter contract that will not get in the way of markstrom starting in the coming years 2)he’s still got it 3) hes got the experience and skill to be a great mentor

this is going to be interesting

• tru2joelu4eva - Jun 29, 2012 at 6:59 PM

good points, but what is the benefit for marty? that’s what i don’t understand, why leave a team you’ve been with for 22 years immediately after they finish runners-up for the Stanley Cup?

• tru2joelu4eva - Jun 29, 2012 at 7:03 PM

i mean, at this point in his career if he signs an expensive contract with either florida team, you’d have to think it would really tarnish his career, especially considering that neither teams are legit contenders, even with him on the roster.

• kingfooj - Jun 29, 2012 at 7:45 PM

yes of course. I have that same problem with this whole situation in even thinking of seeing him in another jersey, and would rather him stay if he can because it just the way it should be. But I am talking assuming that marty and the devils do not come to an agreement and from Florida’s point of view. If he does end up hitting the market, the panthers front office might want to have a second thought on the matter before making a call to BC

8. caniacx4 - Jun 29, 2012 at 8:04 PM

He would be an idiot if he did that! I’m just sayin, I mean spend your whole career with one team only to dis his fans, management and hockey. He should balls up and just retire with dignity and be FN proud of what he’s accomplished in this league. To go to either one would b a big letdown in my opinion. He sure doesnt need the cash.STAY OR RETIRE MARTY!!

9. andyreidisfat - Jun 29, 2012 at 11:26 PM

As a Flyers fan, see ya Marty. As a Hockey fan, imo the second best goalie to ever play should atleast get to play one season for a team who has real fans. I mean no offense to the very few real Devils fans, but even those folks have to admit as a “fan base” the devils are the biggest joke in sports. Nobody in jersey cares about the Devils. They are Rangers fans up north and Flyers fans in the south.

I think a really good spot for MArty would be Tampa. They need some Defense as well But if they were able to trade #4 for some D help and sign MArty and have one or two young guys step up, I see no reason they can not be a top 5 team in the east.

10. DED - Jun 30, 2012 at 11:40 PM

As a Ranger fan, I’d be shocked to see him go. And the Devils fans would range anywhere from heartbreak to anger at what would be seen as a betrayal. I know management has come out and said they want him back. Did they lowball him? Is it all a ploy to feed player ego? Guess we’ll find out soon.

Caps' 'culture change' proving positive