Jun 29, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
In case you missed it, Brodeur is reportedly “very likely” to test free agency Sunday after failing to agree to a contract with the New Jersey Devils. Granted, there’s still time to strike a deal, but it’s getting pretty late in the process.
Tampa Bay makes sense as a destination given the Lightning’s lack of proven NHL goaltending. Anders Lindback was acquired from Nashville a couple of weeks ago, but the 24-year-old has just 28 starts under his belt. Mathieu Garon has a year left on his contract ($1.2 million cap hit); however, the 34-year-old’s play was mediocre last season.
As for the Panthers, we were actually under the impression they were “getting ready for the return of Roberto Luongo.” But you never know – maybe Brodeur’s availability will make them think twice. One of the most successful goalies in NHL history could prove a good role model for young Jacob Markstrom.
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 4
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 18
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 24
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 36
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)