Jun 29, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
In case you missed it, Brodeur is reportedly “very likely” to test free agency Sunday after failing to agree to a contract with the New Jersey Devils. Granted, there’s still time to strike a deal, but it’s getting pretty late in the process.
Tampa Bay makes sense as a destination given the Lightning’s lack of proven NHL goaltending. Anders Lindback was acquired from Nashville a couple of weeks ago, but the 24-year-old has just 28 starts under his belt. Mathieu Garon has a year left on his contract ($1.2 million cap hit); however, the 34-year-old’s play was mediocre last season.
As for the Panthers, we were actually under the impression they were “getting ready for the return of Roberto Luongo.” But you never know – maybe Brodeur’s availability will make them think twice. One of the most successful goalies in NHL history could prove a good role model for young Jacob Markstrom.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Capitals 1
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 38
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 22
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 21
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 8
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 43
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 28
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)