Jun 29, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
In case you missed it, Brodeur is reportedly “very likely” to test free agency Sunday after failing to agree to a contract with the New Jersey Devils. Granted, there’s still time to strike a deal, but it’s getting pretty late in the process.
Tampa Bay makes sense as a destination given the Lightning’s lack of proven NHL goaltending. Anders Lindback was acquired from Nashville a couple of weeks ago, but the 24-year-old has just 28 starts under his belt. Mathieu Garon has a year left on his contract ($1.2 million cap hit); however, the 34-year-old’s play was mediocre last season.
As for the Panthers, we were actually under the impression they were “getting ready for the return of Roberto Luongo.” But you never know – maybe Brodeur’s availability will make them think twice. One of the most successful goalies in NHL history could prove a good role model for young Jacob Markstrom.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 9
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 2
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 13
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)