Jun 29, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
In case you missed it, Brodeur is reportedly “very likely” to test free agency Sunday after failing to agree to a contract with the New Jersey Devils. Granted, there’s still time to strike a deal, but it’s getting pretty late in the process.
Tampa Bay makes sense as a destination given the Lightning’s lack of proven NHL goaltending. Anders Lindback was acquired from Nashville a couple of weeks ago, but the 24-year-old has just 28 starts under his belt. Mathieu Garon has a year left on his contract ($1.2 million cap hit); however, the 34-year-old’s play was mediocre last season.
As for the Panthers, we were actually under the impression they were “getting ready for the return of Roberto Luongo.” But you never know – maybe Brodeur’s availability will make them think twice. One of the most successful goalies in NHL history could prove a good role model for young Jacob Markstrom.
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 7
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 22
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22