Jun 29, 2012, 11:08 AM EDT
The 40-year-old has never played for another organization (he was drafted the by the Devils in 1990) and he’s already won three Stanley Cups, so this is either a bluff or money is seriously tight in New Jersey.
Brodeur is coming off a six-year, $31.2 million contract (cap hit $5.2 million). And based on the Devils’ run to the Stanley Cup finals, he can still get it done.
In December, Brodeur didn’t rule out playing for a different team after his contract expired.
“In the future you never know, but I don’t want to,” Brodeur said. “But if I want to play — and I have so much respect for this organization — and if they don’t feel I’m the guy for them and they want to move on, if I still want to play I have to look after myself. I don’t see that happening, but I can’t say no.”
And so begins the Brodeur-to-Toronto speculation. (Also, the Brodeur-to-Chicago speculation. Which probably makes more sense.)
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 6
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 29
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)