Jun 29, 2012, 11:08 AM EST
The 40-year-old has never played for another organization (he was drafted the by the Devils in 1990) and he’s already won three Stanley Cups, so this is either a bluff or money is seriously tight in New Jersey.
Brodeur is coming off a six-year, $31.2 million contract (cap hit $5.2 million). And based on the Devils’ run to the Stanley Cup finals, he can still get it done.
In December, Brodeur didn’t rule out playing for a different team after his contract expired.
“In the future you never know, but I don’t want to,” Brodeur said. “But if I want to play — and I have so much respect for this organization — and if they don’t feel I’m the guy for them and they want to move on, if I still want to play I have to look after myself. I don’t see that happening, but I can’t say no.”
And so begins the Brodeur-to-Toronto speculation. (Also, the Brodeur-to-Chicago speculation. Which probably makes more sense.)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 43
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (44)