Jun 29, 2012, 9:04 PM EDT
Henrik Lundqvist was quick to admit that added rest was helpful during his Vezina-winning campaign. Martin Biron‘s steady, veteran presence made that doable for the New York Rangers, so it’s positive news that they’ll keep him around for two more seasons. Bob McKenzie reports that the Rangers signed Biron to a two-year, $2.6 million deal.
That $1.3 million annual cap hit represents one of the better bounties for a backup, although it’s following the trend of No. 2 goalies getting more cash lately. It does make for an awfully expensive duo in net for New York, though; Hank and Biron’s combined cap hit exceeds $8.1 million – well over 10 percent of the ceiling. Interestingly enough, both goalies’ contracts are set to expire after the 2013-14 season, too.
Still, the Rangers are protecting their crucial investment in Lundqvist, a goalie who’s been among the NHL’s best basically since he burst onto the scene. Maybe it’s a pricey move, but it’s a wise choice overall.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)