Jun 29, 2012, 9:40 AM EST
The Pittsburgh Penguins just spent $104.4 million on Sidney Crosby, but from a cap hit perspective, they’re looking great. Crosby’s annual cap hit will go unchanged from it’s current $8.7 million when his new contract kicks in, which means that the Penguins still have plenty of space to work with.
According to Cap Greek, they have $55,633,333 in cap space tied up with 18 players in 2012-13. That still leaves them with enough breathing space to go after Zach Parise and give Crosby a winger he can play with for years to come.
Parise to Pittsburgh isn’t as far-fetched as you might think. As the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review pointed out, the two are long-time friends dating back to their prep school days in Minnesota. In fact, Crosby shared a suite with Parise’s family during the Stanley Cup finals.
That being said, the Penguins aren’t the only team that’s going to make a serious run at Parise. He might still re-sign with the New Jersey Devils and the Minnesota Wild are Parise’s hometown team. The Detroit Red Wings, with their rich history of success, are also expected to go after him. Finally, the Philadelphia Flyers can’t be ruled out, even if their cap situation isn’t as good as the other teams on this list.
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 11
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (68)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)