Jun 29, 2012, 9:40 AM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins just spent $104.4 million on Sidney Crosby, but from a cap hit perspective, they’re looking great. Crosby’s annual cap hit will go unchanged from it’s current $8.7 million when his new contract kicks in, which means that the Penguins still have plenty of space to work with.
According to Cap Greek, they have $55,633,333 in cap space tied up with 18 players in 2012-13. That still leaves them with enough breathing space to go after Zach Parise and give Crosby a winger he can play with for years to come.
Parise to Pittsburgh isn’t as far-fetched as you might think. As the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review pointed out, the two are long-time friends dating back to their prep school days in Minnesota. In fact, Crosby shared a suite with Parise’s family during the Stanley Cup finals.
That being said, the Penguins aren’t the only team that’s going to make a serious run at Parise. He might still re-sign with the New Jersey Devils and the Minnesota Wild are Parise’s hometown team. The Detroit Red Wings, with their rich history of success, are also expected to go after him. Finally, the Philadelphia Flyers can’t be ruled out, even if their cap situation isn’t as good as the other teams on this list.
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 0
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 8
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 0
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 51
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (51)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)