Jun 29, 2012, 9:40 AM EST
The Pittsburgh Penguins just spent $104.4 million on Sidney Crosby, but from a cap hit perspective, they’re looking great. Crosby’s annual cap hit will go unchanged from it’s current $8.7 million when his new contract kicks in, which means that the Penguins still have plenty of space to work with.
According to Cap Greek, they have $55,633,333 in cap space tied up with 18 players in 2012-13. That still leaves them with enough breathing space to go after Zach Parise and give Crosby a winger he can play with for years to come.
Parise to Pittsburgh isn’t as far-fetched as you might think. As the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review pointed out, the two are long-time friends dating back to their prep school days in Minnesota. In fact, Crosby shared a suite with Parise’s family during the Stanley Cup finals.
That being said, the Penguins aren’t the only team that’s going to make a serious run at Parise. He might still re-sign with the New Jersey Devils and the Minnesota Wild are Parise’s hometown team. The Detroit Red Wings, with their rich history of success, are also expected to go after him. Finally, the Philadelphia Flyers can’t be ruled out, even if their cap situation isn’t as good as the other teams on this list.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 26
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 13
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 81
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (81)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)