Jun 29, 2012, 9:40 AM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins just spent $104.4 million on Sidney Crosby, but from a cap hit perspective, they’re looking great. Crosby’s annual cap hit will go unchanged from it’s current $8.7 million when his new contract kicks in, which means that the Penguins still have plenty of space to work with.
According to Cap Greek, they have $55,633,333 in cap space tied up with 18 players in 2012-13. That still leaves them with enough breathing space to go after Zach Parise and give Crosby a winger he can play with for years to come.
Parise to Pittsburgh isn’t as far-fetched as you might think. As the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review pointed out, the two are long-time friends dating back to their prep school days in Minnesota. In fact, Crosby shared a suite with Parise’s family during the Stanley Cup finals.
That being said, the Penguins aren’t the only team that’s going to make a serious run at Parise. He might still re-sign with the New Jersey Devils and the Minnesota Wild are Parise’s hometown team. The Detroit Red Wings, with their rich history of success, are also expected to go after him. Finally, the Philadelphia Flyers can’t be ruled out, even if their cap situation isn’t as good as the other teams on this list.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 9
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)