Jun 29, 2012, 10:10 AM EDT
Predators GM David Poile is still hoping to ink Gaustad before the free agent period starts on July 1, but that doesn’t seem likely.
“Paul intends to wait until July 1st to see what options are available, but he is definitely considering Nashville’s offer to re-sign,” Gaustad’s agent, Michael Gorman said.
Gaustad is coming off of a four-year, $9.2 million contract and is probably hoping for something with a similar annual salary.
He had 21 points and 76 penalty minutes in 80 games with Buffalo and Nashville last season. He’s faceoff specialist and responsible defensively. The Nashville Predators gave Buffalo a first-round pick in exchange for Gaustad and a fourth rounder back on Feb. 27.
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 1
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 3
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 45
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 49
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)