Jun 29, 2012, 5:56 PM EDT
Travis Moen has signed a four-year, $7.2 million deal ($1.8 million cap hit) with the Montreal Canadiens. The 30-year-old forward that won a Stanley Cup with Anaheim in 2007 had nine goals and seven assists in 48 games last season.
Moen was the target of trade speculation in January before suffering an upper-body injury and missing the remainder of the season.
Four years is a relatively long term to give a role player like Moen, but the Habs aren’t a team that can watch grit walk out the door.
“Travis brings tremendous leadership to our club, and is very appreciated from his teammates. He expressed his desire to remain with the Canadiens organization and we are very happy to have come to an agreement with him before July 1st. He has a lot of experience and brings a physical presence to our group of forwards,” said Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin in a release.
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 0
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 19
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 48
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control