Jun 29, 2012, 7:18 PM EST
For a guy who’s never played a shift of NHL hockey,* unrestricted free agent defenseman Justin Schultz sure has the league’s many teams tripping over their own feet to impress him. Depending on whose rumors you consume, the likes of the Vancouver Canucks and Minnesota Wild are among the frontrunners. Still, the Edmonton Oilers are high on the list of “teams who could really use Schultz” and they’re pulling out all the stops.
Apparently that means having Oilers legends Wayne Gretzky and Paul Coffey give him a call to pump the team up in his eyes, as Darren Dreger reports.
Who knows how much of a difference that will make, but for a franchise that – to many – hasn’t done much right, this is a commendable gamble. Schultz gets the best of both worlds, too; even if he doesn’t sign with the Oilers, he’s one of the few humans who can say that Gretzky and Coffey tried to “pitch” to him.
(He better be good, huh?)
* – Or maybe partially because he hasn’t played a shift of hockey, and thus, will be relatively cheap thanks the the entry-level maximum limits …
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 1
- Devils fire DeBoer 19
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 17
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)