Jun 29, 2012, 4:13 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers brought a pair of familiar faces into the fold on Thursday, naming former Flyer Ian Laperriere Director of Player Personnel and hiring Terry Murray to coach their AHL affiliate.
Murray, 61, returns to the organization for a fourth time. He played with the Flyers from 1975-81, then came back to serve as a head coach in 1994 (reaching the Stanley Cup finals in 1997.)
After a brief stint in Florida, he went back to the City of Brotherly Love in 2003 to serve as an assistant under Ken Hitchcock and John Stevens before taking the Los Angeles job in 2008.
He coached the Kings for four seasons before being turfed 29 games into 2011-12. LA would go on to win the Stanley Cup under Murray’s replacement, Darryl Sutter.
Of note, the Phantoms gig will be Murray’s first AHL assignment since coaching the Baltimore Skipjacks from 1988-90.
As for Laperriere, he joins the club after serving in a mentor/prospect development role over the last two years. The 38-year-old finished his playing career with the Flyers in 2009-10 after suffering a serious concussion, but immediately began grooming himself for front office work.
“It’s a job that suits me well,” Laperriere told the Flyers website. “It’s one of those jobs that you need a relationship with the young guys and you need to have some experience, and I think I have both.”
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 21
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 36
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 21
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 27
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 19
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 20
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 76
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 109
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 21
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (111)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (100)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful