Jun 29, 2012, 4:13 PM EST
The Philadelphia Flyers brought a pair of familiar faces into the fold on Thursday, naming former Flyer Ian Laperriere Director of Player Personnel and hiring Terry Murray to coach their AHL affiliate.
Murray, 61, returns to the organization for a fourth time. He played with the Flyers from 1975-81, then came back to serve as a head coach in 1994 (reaching the Stanley Cup finals in 1997.)
After a brief stint in Florida, he went back to the City of Brotherly Love in 2003 to serve as an assistant under Ken Hitchcock and John Stevens before taking the Los Angeles job in 2008.
He coached the Kings for four seasons before being turfed 29 games into 2011-12. LA would go on to win the Stanley Cup under Murray’s replacement, Darryl Sutter.
Of note, the Phantoms gig will be Murray’s first AHL assignment since coaching the Baltimore Skipjacks from 1988-90.
As for Laperriere, he joins the club after serving in a mentor/prospect development role over the last two years. The 38-year-old finished his playing career with the Flyers in 2009-10 after suffering a serious concussion, but immediately began grooming himself for front office work.
“It’s a job that suits me well,” Laperriere told the Flyers website. “It’s one of those jobs that you need a relationship with the young guys and you need to have some experience, and I think I have both.”
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 0
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 6
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 12
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 11
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)