Jun 29, 2012, 4:13 PM EST
The Philadelphia Flyers brought a pair of familiar faces into the fold on Thursday, naming former Flyer Ian Laperriere Director of Player Personnel and hiring Terry Murray to coach their AHL affiliate.
Murray, 61, returns to the organization for a fourth time. He played with the Flyers from 1975-81, then came back to serve as a head coach in 1994 (reaching the Stanley Cup finals in 1997.)
After a brief stint in Florida, he went back to the City of Brotherly Love in 2003 to serve as an assistant under Ken Hitchcock and John Stevens before taking the Los Angeles job in 2008.
He coached the Kings for four seasons before being turfed 29 games into 2011-12. LA would go on to win the Stanley Cup under Murray’s replacement, Darryl Sutter.
Of note, the Phantoms gig will be Murray’s first AHL assignment since coaching the Baltimore Skipjacks from 1988-90.
As for Laperriere, he joins the club after serving in a mentor/prospect development role over the last two years. The 38-year-old finished his playing career with the Flyers in 2009-10 after suffering a serious concussion, but immediately began grooming himself for front office work.
“It’s a job that suits me well,” Laperriere told the Flyers website. “It’s one of those jobs that you need a relationship with the young guys and you need to have some experience, and I think I have both.”
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 3
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 5
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 60
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (60)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)