Jun 29, 2012, 4:13 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers brought a pair of familiar faces into the fold on Thursday, naming former Flyer Ian Laperriere Director of Player Personnel and hiring Terry Murray to coach their AHL affiliate.
Murray, 61, returns to the organization for a fourth time. He played with the Flyers from 1975-81, then came back to serve as a head coach in 1994 (reaching the Stanley Cup finals in 1997.)
After a brief stint in Florida, he went back to the City of Brotherly Love in 2003 to serve as an assistant under Ken Hitchcock and John Stevens before taking the Los Angeles job in 2008.
He coached the Kings for four seasons before being turfed 29 games into 2011-12. LA would go on to win the Stanley Cup under Murray’s replacement, Darryl Sutter.
Of note, the Phantoms gig will be Murray’s first AHL assignment since coaching the Baltimore Skipjacks from 1988-90.
As for Laperriere, he joins the club after serving in a mentor/prospect development role over the last two years. The 38-year-old finished his playing career with the Flyers in 2009-10 after suffering a serious concussion, but immediately began grooming himself for front office work.
“It’s a job that suits me well,” Laperriere told the Flyers website. “It’s one of those jobs that you need a relationship with the young guys and you need to have some experience, and I think I have both.”
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)