Jun 29, 2012, 8:44 AM EST
Malkin is coming off of a 50-goal, 109-point campaign. He’s not scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent until the summer of 2014.
“The thing with Gino, as reigning MVP of the league, it’s almost like having two kids you’re equally fond of,” Penguins GM Ray Shero told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “We want to keep Gino happy and keep him a Penguin for a long time.”
Malkin has surpassed the century mark in three of his last five seasons and dealt with significant injuries in the other two campaigns. He’s averaged 1.23 points per game over his career compared to Crosby’s 1.40.
Of course, the NHL will have a new CBA this summer. That might come with a reduced salary cap and perhaps some other provisions that might impact Malkin’s next contract. Still, it’s hard to see Malkin agreeing to a deal that pays him much less than Crosby. Currently, the two superstars come with the same cap hit.
Whatever the case, you can bet that the level of speculation and intrigue surrounding Malkin’s contract status in 2013 will rival that of Crosby in 2012.
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 8
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 29
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 23
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 30
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 12
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)