Jun 29, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT
Stempniak, 29, agreed to a two-year, $5 million deal with an average annual cap hit of $2.5 million.
The veteran winger has seen his production (though not his earnings) plummet since scoring 27 goals with St. Louis in 2006-07. That effort that netted him a three-year, $7.5 million deal from the Blues.
Last season, Stempniak had 14G-14A-28 points for the Flames in 61 games, missing a large chunk of time to an ankle injury.
Jones, 25, agreed to a two-year, $1.3 million deal after receiving a qualifying offer earlier in the week. The former Tampa Bay center was acquired by Calgary in January and debuted nicely for the Flames, but was lost for the season after breaking his ankle while blocking a shot in February.
With the moves, Calgary now has 21 players under contract for 2012-13 and roughly $8.5 million left in cap space. One would assume the Flames will be in the market for some help down the middle, as their current depth chart projects Jones, Roman Cervenka and Matt Stajan as the top three centers.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 4
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 18
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 44
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 46
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (65)