Jun 29, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT
Stempniak, 29, agreed to a two-year, $5 million deal with an average annual cap hit of $2.5 million.
The veteran winger has seen his production (though not his earnings) plummet since scoring 27 goals with St. Louis in 2006-07. That effort that netted him a three-year, $7.5 million deal from the Blues.
Last season, Stempniak had 14G-14A-28 points for the Flames in 61 games, missing a large chunk of time to an ankle injury.
Jones, 25, agreed to a two-year, $1.3 million deal after receiving a qualifying offer earlier in the week. The former Tampa Bay center was acquired by Calgary in January and debuted nicely for the Flames, but was lost for the season after breaking his ankle while blocking a shot in February.
With the moves, Calgary now has 21 players under contract for 2012-13 and roughly $8.5 million left in cap space. One would assume the Flames will be in the market for some help down the middle, as their current depth chart projects Jones, Roman Cervenka and Matt Stajan as the top three centers.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)