Jun 29, 2012, 5:30 PM EST
Stempniak, 29, agreed to a two-year, $5 million deal with an average annual cap hit of $2.5 million.
The veteran winger has seen his production (though not his earnings) plummet since scoring 27 goals with St. Louis in 2006-07. That effort that netted him a three-year, $7.5 million deal from the Blues.
Last season, Stempniak had 14G-14A-28 points for the Flames in 61 games, missing a large chunk of time to an ankle injury.
Jones, 25, agreed to a two-year, $1.3 million deal after receiving a qualifying offer earlier in the week. The former Tampa Bay center was acquired by Calgary in January and debuted nicely for the Flames, but was lost for the season after breaking his ankle while blocking a shot in February.
With the moves, Calgary now has 21 players under contract for 2012-13 and roughly $8.5 million left in cap space. One would assume the Flames will be in the market for some help down the middle, as their current depth chart projects Jones, Roman Cervenka and Matt Stajan as the top three centers.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (121)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)