Jun 29, 2012, 5:30 PM EST
Stempniak, 29, agreed to a two-year, $5 million deal with an average annual cap hit of $2.5 million.
The veteran winger has seen his production (though not his earnings) plummet since scoring 27 goals with St. Louis in 2006-07. That effort that netted him a three-year, $7.5 million deal from the Blues.
Last season, Stempniak had 14G-14A-28 points for the Flames in 61 games, missing a large chunk of time to an ankle injury.
Jones, 25, agreed to a two-year, $1.3 million deal after receiving a qualifying offer earlier in the week. The former Tampa Bay center was acquired by Calgary in January and debuted nicely for the Flames, but was lost for the season after breaking his ankle while blocking a shot in February.
With the moves, Calgary now has 21 players under contract for 2012-13 and roughly $8.5 million left in cap space. One would assume the Flames will be in the market for some help down the middle, as their current depth chart projects Jones, Roman Cervenka and Matt Stajan as the top three centers.
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 1
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 3
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 6
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 20
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 15
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 42
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 5
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)