Jun 29, 2012, 9:33 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks seem like they’re having a bit of an identity crisis this summer. Veterans such as Lubomir Visnovsky are exiting – and perhaps Bobby Ryan, too. On the other hand, they re-signed Saku Koivu and hope to extend Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf. One big reason to stay the course (to some extent) is the potential for one last season from Teemu Selanne.
Eric Stephens reports that the Ducks will meet with “The Finnish Flash” on Saturday, passing along some words of optimism from head coach Bruce Boudreau.
“Indications are that I think he wants to come back, although I’m not 100 percent sure,” Boudreau said. “I’m still counting on him to hopefully be back.”
“I can’t put thoughts into his head, but, if I was deciding not to come back, I wouldn’t be having a lot of conversations with my team and texting them good thoughts and ‘how you doing?’ — that sort of stuff. I seem to be getting good vibes.”
Boudreau can’t put thoughts in Selanne’s head, but feel free to picture him doing so, “Scanners”-style. I know I am.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)