Jun 29, 2012, 12:45 PM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche has locked up one its restricted free agents, signing pugnacious forward Steve Downie to a two-year, $5.3 million deal.
According to TSN’s Bob McKenzie, Downie will earn $2.55 million in his first season and $2.75 million the next for a cap hit of $2.65 million.
Downie, 25, was traded from Tampa Bay to Colorado in February. He finished the season with 14 goals and 27 assists in 75 games.
GM Greg Sherman must now turn his attention to RFAs Erik Johnson and Ryan O’Reilly. The former is the Avalanche’s top defenseman, the latter its leading scorer.
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 12
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 38
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 53
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54