Jun 29, 2012, 12:45 PM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche has locked up one its restricted free agents, signing pugnacious forward Steve Downie to a two-year, $5.3 million deal.
According to TSN’s Bob McKenzie, Downie will earn $2.55 million in his first season and $2.75 million the next for a cap hit of $2.65 million.
Downie, 25, was traded from Tampa Bay to Colorado in February. He finished the season with 14 goals and 27 assists in 75 games.
GM Greg Sherman must now turn his attention to RFAs Erik Johnson and Ryan O’Reilly. The former is the Avalanche’s top defenseman, the latter its leading scorer.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5