Jun 29, 2012, 12:45 PM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche has locked up one its restricted free agents, signing pugnacious forward Steve Downie to a two-year, $5.3 million deal.
According to TSN’s Bob McKenzie, Downie will earn $2.55 million in his first season and $2.75 million the next for a cap hit of $2.65 million.
Downie, 25, was traded from Tampa Bay to Colorado in February. He finished the season with 14 goals and 27 assists in 75 games.
GM Greg Sherman must now turn his attention to RFAs Erik Johnson and Ryan O’Reilly. The former is the Avalanche’s top defenseman, the latter its leading scorer.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 34
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)