Jun 29, 2012, 12:45 PM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche has locked up one its restricted free agents, signing pugnacious forward Steve Downie to a two-year, $5.3 million deal.
According to TSN’s Bob McKenzie, Downie will earn $2.55 million in his first season and $2.75 million the next for a cap hit of $2.65 million.
Downie, 25, was traded from Tampa Bay to Colorado in February. He finished the season with 14 goals and 27 assists in 75 games.
GM Greg Sherman must now turn his attention to RFAs Erik Johnson and Ryan O’Reilly. The former is the Avalanche’s top defenseman, the latter its leading scorer.
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 7
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 13
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6