Jun 28, 2012, 11:09 AM EDT
All week leading up to Sunday, July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Scott Clemmensen (G)
2011-12 cap hit: $1.2 million
Don’t get me wrong, Clemmensen is a fine and arguably underrated goaltender capable of serving a a great veteran backup. He can even fill in as the team’s number one starter when needed, but he can’t be counted on to carry a squad for an entire season.
Clemmensen has recorded a save percentage of .911 or higher in each of his last four season. However, he’s also played in just 152 career games and has never been between the pipes for more than 40 NHL contests in a single season.
If a team signs him in the hope that he will be able to serve as their opening game starter, they’ll be taking a huge risk. A more ideal scenario would be for him to act as a backup to a young goaltender that still has something to prove. He could be the Jean-Sebastien Giguere to a franchise’s Semyon Varlamov, but he can’t play like a mid-20s Giguere.
More UFA spotlights
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)