Jun 28, 2012, 11:09 AM EDT
All week leading up to Sunday, July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Scott Clemmensen (G)
2011-12 cap hit: $1.2 million
Don’t get me wrong, Clemmensen is a fine and arguably underrated goaltender capable of serving a a great veteran backup. He can even fill in as the team’s number one starter when needed, but he can’t be counted on to carry a squad for an entire season.
Clemmensen has recorded a save percentage of .911 or higher in each of his last four season. However, he’s also played in just 152 career games and has never been between the pipes for more than 40 NHL contests in a single season.
If a team signs him in the hope that he will be able to serve as their opening game starter, they’ll be taking a huge risk. A more ideal scenario would be for him to act as a backup to a young goaltender that still has something to prove. He could be the Jean-Sebastien Giguere to a franchise’s Semyon Varlamov, but he can’t play like a mid-20s Giguere.
More UFA spotlights
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 0
- Selanne offers harsh criticism of Boudreau’s handling of him 8
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 18
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 22
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 51
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (51)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)