Jun 28, 2012, 11:09 AM EDT
All week leading up to Sunday, July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Scott Clemmensen (G)
2011-12 cap hit: $1.2 million
Don’t get me wrong, Clemmensen is a fine and arguably underrated goaltender capable of serving a a great veteran backup. He can even fill in as the team’s number one starter when needed, but he can’t be counted on to carry a squad for an entire season.
Clemmensen has recorded a save percentage of .911 or higher in each of his last four season. However, he’s also played in just 152 career games and has never been between the pipes for more than 40 NHL contests in a single season.
If a team signs him in the hope that he will be able to serve as their opening game starter, they’ll be taking a huge risk. A more ideal scenario would be for him to act as a backup to a young goaltender that still has something to prove. He could be the Jean-Sebastien Giguere to a franchise’s Semyon Varlamov, but he can’t play like a mid-20s Giguere.
More UFA spotlights
- PHT Morning Skate: Two top scoring duos collide in Ducks vs. Stars 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Sharks get over past playoff hurdles? 4
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 15
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 8
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)