Jun 28, 2012, 11:09 AM EDT
All week leading up to Sunday, July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Scott Clemmensen (G)
2011-12 cap hit: $1.2 million
Don’t get me wrong, Clemmensen is a fine and arguably underrated goaltender capable of serving a a great veteran backup. He can even fill in as the team’s number one starter when needed, but he can’t be counted on to carry a squad for an entire season.
Clemmensen has recorded a save percentage of .911 or higher in each of his last four season. However, he’s also played in just 152 career games and has never been between the pipes for more than 40 NHL contests in a single season.
If a team signs him in the hope that he will be able to serve as their opening game starter, they’ll be taking a huge risk. A more ideal scenario would be for him to act as a backup to a young goaltender that still has something to prove. He could be the Jean-Sebastien Giguere to a franchise’s Semyon Varlamov, but he can’t play like a mid-20s Giguere.
More UFA spotlights
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)