Jun 28, 2012, 6:00 AM EDT
All week leading up to Sunday, July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Michal Rozsival (D)
2011-12 cap hit: $5 million
The early indication is that Rozsival’s final moment in a Phoenix uniform involved ending up on the wrong side of a controversial Dustin Brown hit. Indeed, it appears the return of Zbynek Michalek to the desert will allow the Coyotes to part ways with the 33-year-old Czech-born blue-liner.
It’s difficult to predict where Rozsival will land, but the stay-at-home defenseman will almost certainly need to take a significant pay cut from the hefty $5 million cap hit he previously generated.
Even though the Brown hit reportedly left no significant damage, he’s becoming more injury prone with age. After missing time since the lockout, he played in just 65 games in 2010-11 and 54 this past season.
That being said, this is a notably thin market for defensemen and Rozsival’s perception rebounds once you forget about the salary he was pulling in. He could be a shrewd (if not particularly sexy) addition for a team searching for stability and depth on the blue line.
More UFA spotlights
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 1
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 49
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (64)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)