Jun 28, 2012, 6:00 AM EST
All week leading up to Sunday, July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Michal Rozsival (D)
2011-12 cap hit: $5 million
The early indication is that Rozsival’s final moment in a Phoenix uniform involved ending up on the wrong side of a controversial Dustin Brown hit. Indeed, it appears the return of Zbynek Michalek to the desert will allow the Coyotes to part ways with the 33-year-old Czech-born blue-liner.
It’s difficult to predict where Rozsival will land, but the stay-at-home defenseman will almost certainly need to take a significant pay cut from the hefty $5 million cap hit he previously generated.
Even though the Brown hit reportedly left no significant damage, he’s becoming more injury prone with age. After missing time since the lockout, he played in just 65 games in 2010-11 and 54 this past season.
That being said, this is a notably thin market for defensemen and Rozsival’s perception rebounds once you forget about the salary he was pulling in. He could be a shrewd (if not particularly sexy) addition for a team searching for stability and depth on the blue line.
More UFA spotlights
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)