Jun 28, 2012, 2:27 PM EDT
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Jonas Gustavsson (G)
2011-12 cap hit: $1.35 million
The Monster didn’t exactly make those who opposed the Toronto Maple Leafs quiver in fear. In fact, more often than not it was the Leafs’ faithful that were scared any time it was announced that Gustavsson would be the starter.
Gustavsson’s rocky tenure with Toronto is a thing of the past as the Leafs have already traded his negotiating rights to the Winnipeg Jets. However, Winnipeg might not end up signing Gustavsson.
The free-agent market for goaltenders is very thin, but that doesn’t mean Gustavsson will even land a one-way contract this summer. He might end up signing as a team’s third-string goaltender with an opportunity to compete for the backup spot in training camp.
More UFA spotlights
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 0
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 69
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 63
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)