Jun 28, 2012, 2:27 PM EDT
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Jonas Gustavsson (G)
2011-12 cap hit: $1.35 million
The Monster didn’t exactly make those who opposed the Toronto Maple Leafs quiver in fear. In fact, more often than not it was the Leafs’ faithful that were scared any time it was announced that Gustavsson would be the starter.
Gustavsson’s rocky tenure with Toronto is a thing of the past as the Leafs have already traded his negotiating rights to the Winnipeg Jets. However, Winnipeg might not end up signing Gustavsson.
The free-agent market for goaltenders is very thin, but that doesn’t mean Gustavsson will even land a one-way contract this summer. He might end up signing as a team’s third-string goaltender with an opportunity to compete for the backup spot in training camp.
More UFA spotlights
- Kronwalled: Red Wings D levels Lightning’s Kucherov 5
- Video: Mrazek makes astounding save, Stamkos brawls again 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 22
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 14
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 75
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 50
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 40
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)