Jun 28, 2012, 2:27 PM EDT
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Jonas Gustavsson (G)
2011-12 cap hit: $1.35 million
The Monster didn’t exactly make those who opposed the Toronto Maple Leafs quiver in fear. In fact, more often than not it was the Leafs’ faithful that were scared any time it was announced that Gustavsson would be the starter.
Gustavsson’s rocky tenure with Toronto is a thing of the past as the Leafs have already traded his negotiating rights to the Winnipeg Jets. However, Winnipeg might not end up signing Gustavsson.
The free-agent market for goaltenders is very thin, but that doesn’t mean Gustavsson will even land a one-way contract this summer. He might end up signing as a team’s third-string goaltender with an opportunity to compete for the backup spot in training camp.
More UFA spotlights
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 13
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 46
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 35
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)