Jun 28, 2012, 2:27 PM EST
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Jonas Gustavsson (G)
2011-12 cap hit: $1.35 million
The Monster didn’t exactly make those who opposed the Toronto Maple Leafs quiver in fear. In fact, more often than not it was the Leafs’ faithful that were scared any time it was announced that Gustavsson would be the starter.
Gustavsson’s rocky tenure with Toronto is a thing of the past as the Leafs have already traded his negotiating rights to the Winnipeg Jets. However, Winnipeg might not end up signing Gustavsson.
The free-agent market for goaltenders is very thin, but that doesn’t mean Gustavsson will even land a one-way contract this summer. He might end up signing as a team’s third-string goaltender with an opportunity to compete for the backup spot in training camp.
More UFA spotlights
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)