Jun 28, 2012, 2:27 PM EDT
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Jonas Gustavsson (G)
2011-12 cap hit: $1.35 million
The Monster didn’t exactly make those who opposed the Toronto Maple Leafs quiver in fear. In fact, more often than not it was the Leafs’ faithful that were scared any time it was announced that Gustavsson would be the starter.
Gustavsson’s rocky tenure with Toronto is a thing of the past as the Leafs have already traded his negotiating rights to the Winnipeg Jets. However, Winnipeg might not end up signing Gustavsson.
The free-agent market for goaltenders is very thin, but that doesn’t mean Gustavsson will even land a one-way contract this summer. He might end up signing as a team’s third-string goaltender with an opportunity to compete for the backup spot in training camp.
More UFA spotlights
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 79
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32