Jun 28, 2012, 6:06 PM EDT
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Dustin Penner (LW)
2011-12 cap hit: $4.25 million
The skinny: Even though the last two years have been rough, Penner has to be fairly optimistic heading into free agency.
He’s no longer burdened by his $21 million deal, has won two Cups in five seasons and, when paired with the right people, can be an offensive force.
(Given that Richards and Carter project to be in L.A. long-term, it wasn’t surprising to learn Penner was willing to give the Kings a hometown discount.)
The key difference between this free agency experience and Penner’s last will be expectations.
When Penner signed that monster offer sheet with the Oilers, he was 24 years old and projected to be a dominant power forward. Five years later, it’s pretty clear what Penner actually is — a large, affable guy that’s streaky, but has a knack for playing big in big moments.
Expect teams to bid accordingly.
More UFA spotlights
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 2
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 12
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 63
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 31
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 13
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (67)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)