Jun 28, 2012, 6:06 PM EDT
All week leading up to July 1, we’ll be profiling unrestricted free agents and speculating where they might end up.
Dustin Penner (LW)
2011-12 cap hit: $4.25 million
The skinny: Even though the last two years have been rough, Penner has to be fairly optimistic heading into free agency.
He’s no longer burdened by his $21 million deal, has won two Cups in five seasons and, when paired with the right people, can be an offensive force.
(Given that Richards and Carter project to be in L.A. long-term, it wasn’t surprising to learn Penner was willing to give the Kings a hometown discount.)
The key difference between this free agency experience and Penner’s last will be expectations.
When Penner signed that monster offer sheet with the Oilers, he was 24 years old and projected to be a dominant power forward. Five years later, it’s pretty clear what Penner actually is — a large, affable guy that’s streaky, but has a knack for playing big in big moments.
Expect teams to bid accordingly.
More UFA spotlights
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 57
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 26
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 6
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 5
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 12
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 63
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 91
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 19
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (91)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)