Jun 28, 2012, 12:24 PM EDT
Despite speculation that Justin Schultz is leaning towards signing with a western Canadian team, TSN is reporting the highly touted 21-year-old defenseman has shortlisted five clubs – the Edmonton Oilers, Vancouver Canucks, Toronto Maple Leafs, New York Rangers, and Ottawa Senators.
We’ll still consider Edmonton and Vancouver the favorites. The former offers the chance to develop with the likes of Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Jordan Eberle and Nail Yakupov, plus the opportunity to step into a top-four role. The latter has the home province advantage (Schultz is from Kelowna, BC).
The Rangers’ inclusion on Schultz’s shortlist is notable in that they’re the lone American team. And at the risk of getting ahead of ourselves, it’s also worth wondering if signing Schultz would give Glen Sather more freedom to acquire Rick Nash from Columbus. The Blue Jackets were reportedly interested in Michael Del Zotto and/or Ryan McDonagh; with another young defenseman in the mix, giving up one of those guys gets easier.
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 17
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)