Jun 28, 2012, 2:11 PM EST
We hesitate to say Olli Jokinen has played his last game in a Flames uniform, since he’s kind of like the cat that keeps coming back to Calgary. (Except the cat is a 33-year-old Finnish forward.)
Regardless, Eric Francis of the Calgary Sun is reporting Jokinen will become a free agent on July 1 and is expected to find a new team.
Jokinen is coming off a two-year, $6 million deal, but should get a raise in the wake of a 61-point season on an offensively challenged club.
For the Flames, Jokinen’s departure leaves them markedly thin at center. Mike Cammalleri can play the middle, but the team’s preference is to have him as a winger. After that, it’s much-maligned Matt Stajan and nearing-bust-status Mikael Backlund on the depth chart.
Hey, maybe GM Jay Feaster can trade Jay Bouwmeester for a center.
Related: UFA spotlight — Olli Jokinen
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)