Jun 28, 2012, 2:11 PM EDT
We hesitate to say Olli Jokinen has played his last game in a Flames uniform, since he’s kind of like the cat that keeps coming back to Calgary. (Except the cat is a 33-year-old Finnish forward.)
Regardless, Eric Francis of the Calgary Sun is reporting Jokinen will become a free agent on July 1 and is expected to find a new team.
Jokinen is coming off a two-year, $6 million deal, but should get a raise in the wake of a 61-point season on an offensively challenged club.
For the Flames, Jokinen’s departure leaves them markedly thin at center. Mike Cammalleri can play the middle, but the team’s preference is to have him as a winger. After that, it’s much-maligned Matt Stajan and nearing-bust-status Mikael Backlund on the depth chart.
Hey, maybe GM Jay Feaster can trade Jay Bouwmeester for a center.
Related: UFA spotlight — Olli Jokinen
- Subban, Habs can’t agree to terms before arbitration hearing 16
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 19
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 63
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)