Jun 28, 2012, 2:11 PM EST
We hesitate to say Olli Jokinen has played his last game in a Flames uniform, since he’s kind of like the cat that keeps coming back to Calgary. (Except the cat is a 33-year-old Finnish forward.)
Regardless, Eric Francis of the Calgary Sun is reporting Jokinen will become a free agent on July 1 and is expected to find a new team.
Jokinen is coming off a two-year, $6 million deal, but should get a raise in the wake of a 61-point season on an offensively challenged club.
For the Flames, Jokinen’s departure leaves them markedly thin at center. Mike Cammalleri can play the middle, but the team’s preference is to have him as a winger. After that, it’s much-maligned Matt Stajan and nearing-bust-status Mikael Backlund on the depth chart.
Hey, maybe GM Jay Feaster can trade Jay Bouwmeester for a center.
Related: UFA spotlight — Olli Jokinen
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 19
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)